Re: [Authentic_SCA] food coloring

  • kittencat3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
      Red - I'd try pomegranate juice or cochineal if you can get it (especially cochineal, which is very very bright and is used as a modern food coloring in cranberry juice). Black - walnut shells.

      Good luck!

      Sarah Davies
    • Adele de Maisieres
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
        Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

        >Hello all,
        >
        >I am looking for some period ways to color some foods for a 14th c.
        >French and German feast. I've got my purple, yellow and green, but I
        >also need black and red. Anyone know what I can use? I'm extracting
        >the dyes into water and making them into a simple syrup to paint on
        >marzipan as decoration.

        For red, you can use a little beetroot juice plus a little saffron or
        saunders to make it less pink.

        --
        Adele de Maisieres

        -----------------------------
        Quot homines, tot sententiae.
        -----------------------------
      • Catalin Zoldszem
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2005
          Yellow -saffron ( period)
          Green -parsley (period)
          Red- Sauders (period)
          Blue-purple plums (maybe if you toned it down)
          Black- a mixture of all of the above
          Purple- Sauders and purple plums
          Orange- saffron and parsley

          Found on an email discussion posted at http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/p-fd-coloring-msg.html . I didn't read through the whole thing, it's pretty long. But it may help. I found that by just putting 'period food coloring' into Google.

          Cat

        • Nibuca
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
            Isabeau said:
            > I am looking for some period ways to color some
            > foods for a 14th c. French and German feast. I've
            > got my purple, yellow and green, but I also need
            > black and red. Anyone know what I can use? I'm
            > extracting the dyes into water and making them into
            > a simple syrup to paint on marzipan as decoration.

            This last September I did my first feast. The theme
            of the feast was "Six colors" (it was for Mists Bardic
            and the Bard is allowed to wear six colors).
            Primarily my colors came out in sauces for chicken and
            in many colored leach (milk jello).

            Sauces:
            Brown - Cameline
            Yellow - Citrus suace
            blue/red - Cerulean Blue Sauce
            Black - black pepper sauce
            White - Cow's Milk Jance
            Green - Green Garlic Sauce

            For the leach I did one with natural colors/sugar and
            one with food coloring/splenda (for the
            diabetic/atkins folks).

            Natural colored: Parsley water(green), Saffron
            (yellow), Blackberry juice (reddish)

            We also added edible flower petals to the meal to add
            color.

            Bardic menu with recipes:
            http://www.fibergeek.com/mistsbardicxxxix/

            In my research I found that saunders were used a lot
            for red coloring and I think turnsole for black. Good
            luck.

            Lady Sylvie la chardonni�re
            West Kingdom
          • Lady_Lark_Azure
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
              Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
              a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
              thing in grocery stores. I'll probably reduce the pomegranate juice
              to get a darker color, but the saffron looked great.

              Anyone have any suggestions for how to get them into something I can
              use as a base for painting? We're hoping to use them to paint
              marzipan. I tried incorporating them into a simple syrup, but it
              comes out like a glaze and is much too transparent.

              I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
              spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

              Isabeau
            • Adele de Maisieres
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                Lady_Lark_Azure wrote:

                >Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
                >a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
                >thing in grocery stores. I'll probably reduce the pomegranate juice
                >to get a darker color, but the saffron looked great.
                >
                >Anyone have any suggestions for how to get them into something I can
                >use as a base for painting? We're hoping to use them to paint
                >marzipan. I tried incorporating them into a simple syrup, but it
                >comes out like a glaze and is much too transparent.
                >
                >I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
                >spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

                Egg white is fine for painting marzipan, actually. It dries rapidly,
                and there's no real danger of completely dry egg white spoiling.
                Another option would be gum arabic, but I don't know much about using it.

                --
                Adele de Maisieres

                -----------------------------
                Quot homines, tot sententiae.
                -----------------------------
              • Elsa Cumming
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2, 2005
                  The egg white will work fine. I use it every year at Christmas to paint mundane cookies. I HATE frosted cookies, but like them colored. I have mailed some that took a few weeks to get to where they were going and they were fine when eaten.

                  Good luck.

                  Take photos of your finished product if you can and post them.

                  Elsa

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                    >I was thinking of trying egg whites, but I'm concerned about
                    >spoilage. Suggestion would be appreciated.

                    Stabilised egg whites can be purchased in a box at the grocery. I use them
                    for royal icing. Once opened you might have to keep them refrigerated
                    (different brands have different instructions).

                    They are found with the baking supplies at my local store.

                    ~ Hedewigis.

                  • giraude@wedcraft.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lady_Lark_Azure"
                      <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

                      > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
                      > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
                      > thing in grocery stores.

                      I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
                      shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

                      Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
                      rolling hulls off of black walnuts)
                    • acboysen@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                        yeah, i dont think the shells is the part with the dye. the hull, from when
                        it's on the tree, turns things black from the juice. if i remember correctly,
                        that is...

                        amelia
                        (who managed to avoid spending days in childhood staining hands, and noticed
                        the other kids that did.)

                        <jenniferanne21@n...> wrote:

                        > Well, I've managed to get some decent colors. I may have to head to
                        > a health food store for walnuts in the shell--they're more of a fall
                        > thing in grocery stores.

                        I've heard of walnut hulls being used as a dye, but not walnut
                        shells...or is it the walnuts themselves you plan to use?

                        Giraude (who spend many a fall day in childhood staining her hands
                        rolling hulls off of black walnuts)

                      • Huette von Ahrens
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 3, 2005
                          > Message: 10
                          > Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:29:01 -0500
                          > From: kittencat3@...
                          > Subject: Re: food coloring
                          >
                          > Red - I'd try pomegranate juice or cochineal if you
                          > can get it (especially cochineal, which is very very
                          > bright and is used as a modern food coloring in
                          > cranberry juice). Black - walnut shells.
                          >
                          > Good luck!
                          >
                          > Sarah Davies

                          Actually, cochineal is not used in cranberry juice.
                          It is used in pink grapefruit juice made by
                          Ocean Spray, which is probably where the confusion
                          lies.

                          If you are planning on using cochineal in food,
                          please let your diners know this, as it is a
                          red coloring made from the Cochineal Insect.
                          There are a lot of people, both vegetarians and
                          non-vegetarians who have a problem with using this
                          source for red coloring.

                          Huette

                          Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!