[Authentic_SCA] Re: Hard to get ingredients

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 25, 2005
      At 8:35 PM +0000 2/25/05, Susan Farmer wrote:
      >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, lilinah@e... wrote:
      >> There are a couple of flavorings called for in some of the dishes i
      >> cook. I don't know how safe they actually are to eat.
      >>
      >> Among these ingredients are camphor and musk. I know that genuine
      >> musk is safe to eat, but extremely expensive, so my real interest is
      >> in a safe-to-eat substitute. I can get real camphor - from the
      >> camphor tree, which is related to cinnamon (or at least i used to be
      >> able to, haven't tracked it down for a few years), but i don't know
      >> if it's actually safe to consume.
      >>
      >> I wonder if folks have any ideas about how safe they are, and what to
      >> substitute for them. Any information?
      >
      >Camphor probably shouldn't be used in food. Here's what the CDC has
      >to say about it's safety .....
      >
      ><http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1021.html>
      >
      >Jerusha, the botanist

      It's probably worth checking whether the "camphor" in the recipe is
      the same as what we currently call "camphor." I have this vague
      feeling that it may not be. Considering the confusion between
      "cinnamon" and "cassia," for instance, it's always worth trying to
      find out exactly _which_ plant was actually being recommended.

      Then again, those "middlevil" people occasionally _did_ eat some
      things that we would now classify as Not Good for Us at All...

      O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
      + Chris Laning <claning@...>