Re: medieval weather

  • faena0216
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 23, 2005
      > Which, I suppose, brings us full-circle to medieval weather lore.
      How did our medieval ancestors know a hard winter was coming so they
      could prepare for it?
      > What a body of ancestral countryside weather-lore handed down by
      word-of-mouth seems to have been lost to us now, - as students of
      the period, - because no-one contemporary felt it worth recording as
      one body-of-Lore?

      One way is to watch the honey bees. They collect propolis and start
      smearing it all over the hive as a water and weather retardant in
      advance of winter. If they start adding it early, you know winter is
      coming early. If they cover *all* holes and narrow their opening to
      the smallest hole, you know it'll be cold.

      My bees did this last fall, and we got an early and hard cold snap
      that still killed them all as they did not have time to get enough
      honey reserves into the hive.

      Nancy