Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: appology for discussion of religion; was (blessing oneself (Catholic vs Orthodox christian))

  • Anthony J. Bryant
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2001
      dannw@... wrote:

      > Oh dear. That is a shame. Personally, I have no problem with
      > religious discussions (of any sort) just so long as all religions are
      > respected (i.e. no slamming anyone's religion).

      My personal take:

      I will never say I "respect" all religions.

      The word I may use is "tolerate," but there are many I will never respect, as that implies a certain level of acceptance that I cannot
      conscience.

      There is a difference. <G>

      Effingham
    • dannw@pathcom.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2001
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
        > dannw@p... wrote:
        >

        > > Oh dear. That is a shame. Personally, I have no problem with
        > > religious discussions (of any sort) just so long as all religions
        are
        > > respected (i.e. no slamming anyone's religion).
        >
        > My personal take:
        >
        > I will never say I "respect" all religions.
        >
        > The word I may use is "tolerate," but there are many I will never
        respect, as that implies a certain level of acceptance that I cannot
        > conscience.
        >
        > There is a difference. <G>

        Ok Effingham, you got me on the semantics. : ) I know what I *meant*
        to say but I'm too tired to think straight... Part of what I meant (
        I will try and explain) is, one should respect the fact that not
        everyone holds the same views as one's self. There are religions I do
        have problems with (i.e. certain death cults, etc...) but, I can
        respect the fact that other people have different views than I do.
        Did that make things more clear, or less? ; )

        Cheers,
        Gwendoline
      • Eanswyth
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2001
          > Did that make things more clear, or less? ; )
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Gwendoline

          Yes.
        • Eanswyth
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27, 2001
            Wahoo! I got to post message 5000. And it was so insightful, too.

            Eanswyth

            > > Did that make things more clear, or less? ; )
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Gwendoline
            >

            > Yes.
          • Eanswyth
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2001
              delivery system, I posted this late Friday night and it just showed
              up Tuesday morning. So, yeah, I'd say there may just be something
              wrong.

              Eanswyth