weave question

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2005
      Hi gang,

      I was wondering. Is a gabardine an appropriate weave for an early
      16th C. French woman?

      Thanks,
      Isabeau
    • Elizabeth Walpole
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2005
        This question came up on H-cost not long ago, to summarise the discussion
        gabardine is a 2:2 twill weave in a worsted wool this combination of
        elements certainly existed in the 16th century, the only problem with modern
        gabardines is sometimes they have an unnaturally shiny finish and they are
        often too lightweight to produce the right 16th century look (though for
        first decade or two of the 16th century the softer drape may work OK).
        Elizabeth