SCA time period academic clothing

  • Darcellena@triton.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 10, 2005
      Good morining everyone!

      Would anyone have links to information and photos/drawings of academic
      clothing for the SCA time period? So far Google isn't being particularly
      quickly helpful.

      I was told once that academic clothing such as graduation gowns hasn't
      changed substantially enough since the Middle Ages that someone could wear
      their modern graduation gown (In this case the persons received Master's
      and JD degrees.) as a "reasonable attempt" at portraying a scholar from
      the SCA time period. Do you all agree? We're working on coming up with
      at least minimally ok garb to attend their first event and first
      introduction to the SCA in two days, Val Day.

      Thanks in advance.

      Darcellena
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 10, 2005
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Darcellena@t... wrote:
        > Good morining everyone!
        > I was told once that academic clothing such as graduation gowns hasn't
        > changed substantially enough since the Middle Ages that someone
        could wear
        > their modern graduation gown (In this case the persons received Master's
        > and JD degrees.) as a "reasonable attempt" at portraying a scholar from
        > the SCA time period. Do you all agree?

        http://www.acenet.edu/faq/costume_code.html#Historical seems to
        indicate that what we associate with academic regalia probably got
        codified during the Tudor period in England. You might try looking for
        portraits from that period for scholars from Cambridge and Oxford.

        Jehanne
      • msgilliandurham
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 10, 2005
          Academic regalia is based on late medieval early Rennaissance
          clothing for men, yes. Keep in mind that women rarely (I could
          probably safely say "never" but I'm not positive) were allowed to
          participate in formal academic life, and therefore would not wear
          academic robes.

          However, you might prefer to check with your local group's
          chatellaine or Gold Key for "loaner garb". Or have you already tried
          this?

          YIS,
          Gillian Durham

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Darcellena@t... wrote:

          > We're working on coming up with
          > at least minimally ok garb to attend their first event and first
          > introduction to the SCA in two days, Val Day.
        • Zenovia Kallipygia
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 10, 2005
            There is some info about academic robes in Mary G. Houston, _Medieval
            Costume in England and France: The 13th, 14th and 15th Centuries_
            (Mineola, NY: Dover, 1996) ch. 13 "Regal, Ecclesiastical and Academic
            Costume [of the 15th Century]". This is the earliest mention of
            academic costume in this book.

            Zenovia

          • kittencat3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 10, 2005
              Gillian - there are a very few examples of women being allowed to lecture at universities, mostly in Italy. They probably wore normal clothing for their time period.

              Sarah Davies
            • bex_1014
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 10, 2005
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Darcellena@t... wrote:
                > Good morining everyone!
                >
                > Would anyone have links to information and photos/drawings of
                academic
                > clothing for the SCA time period? So far Google isn't being
                particularly
                > quickly helpful.
                > Darcellena

                Hi: this page may be helpful as well:
                http://home.uchicago.edu/~atterlep/costuming/academic%
                20clothing.htm#_ftn1
                or if that's too long -
                http://tinyurl.com/6lgyy
                There is a bibliography at the end.

                If you can find it, a book called
                "Academic dress: a brief guide to it's origins and development" by
                K.R. Dutton, published in 1983 by the Australian Federation of
                University Women (Hunter Valley Branch) and Convocation of the
                University of Newcastle, is a really good resource. However, it's the
                kind of thing that may only be found in a big library, or through
                ILL. I think it was privately published, as the library record
                (Adelaide, S Aust.) has no ISBN.

                Hope this helps,
                Rebecca
              • Darcellena@triton.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 11, 2005
                  Thanks. That's pretty much what I recalled about academic robes. In this
                  case the potential newcomer is a man.

                  "Loaner garb" doesn't sound like a realistic possibility in this instance.

                  I went to a costume shop today with him to try to find something suitable.
                  The only remotely passable "first reasonable attempt" available was
                  fairly close to a tunic, but with a hood attached. Rentals were at least
                  $35/day. Most everything figuratively made my eyes hurt. I think we were
                  only there for no more than 5-10 minutes. Since this is just his first
                  event and first exposure to the SCA he's just going to let the whole issue
                  go for now with wearing the graduation robe even if it is a somewhat
                  shinier synthetic fabric. After all, there's at least SOME plausible
                  basic connection to "period" academic robes and it's all he has. It is an
                  attempt. :) We all start somewhere. With one of my first attempts at
                  garb someone informed me that I was the Elizabethan equivalent to naked
                  because I didn't have a bodice, only the hoop/skirt and cotton
                  chemise/blouse. Yet, it was one of the only pieces I had then (especially
                  for Winter) and it was a genuine attempt for this newcomer. I told him
                  that should he decide that he's having a good enough time that he may like
                  to consider joining that clothing merchants are advertised to be at the
                  event. Maybe later I'd have more time to assist with making clothing, but
                  for now my Master's program at school plus "real life" duties (e.g.,
                  overseeing my grandmother's care at home) pretty much consumes my life. :)

                  Well, enough rambling. :) Thanks again for the confirmation of my
                  thoughts on academic robes.

                  Darcellena

                  > Academic regalia is based on late medieval early Rennaissance
                  > clothing for men, yes. Keep in mind that women rarely (I could
                  > probably safely say "never" but I'm not positive) were allowed to
                  > participate in formal academic life, and therefore would not wear
                  > academic robes.
                  >
                  > However, you might prefer to check with your local group's
                  > chatellaine or Gold Key for "loaner garb". Or have you already tried
                  > this?
                  >
                  > YIS,
                  > Gillian Durham
                  >
                  > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Darcellena@t... wrote:
                  >
                  >> We're working on coming up with
                  >> at least minimally ok garb to attend their first event and first
                  >> introduction to the SCA in two days, Val Day.

                • Greg Lindahl
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 11, 2005
                    On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:17:32PM -0500, Darcellena@... wrote:

                    > "Loaner garb" doesn't sound like a realistic possibility in this instance.

                    At most events, the sponsoring group Chatelaine can be contacted to
                    bring something. Costume shops are often a bad idea, as you've discovered.

                    -- Gregory
                  • Darcellena@triton.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 12, 2005
                      Actually the costume shop had one style that wasn't too bad, but they
                      wanted $55/day to rent it and the shade of blue was just TOO bright. It
                      was similar in style to something Henry VIII might have worn. The
                      sponsoring group for this event does not have loaner garb or other Gold
                      Key.

                      As it turns out, he unfortunately became very ill with the flu yesterday
                      and can't attend after all. :( <sigh> At least there will always be other
                      events. The shared information will eventually be useful for him when
                      he's feeling better, and I found it to be interesting too.

                      Darcellena

                      > On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:17:32PM -0500, Darcellena@... wrote:
                      >
                      >> "Loaner garb" doesn't sound like a realistic possibility in this
                      >> instance.
                      >
                      > At most events, the sponsoring group Chatelaine can be contacted to
                      > bring something. Costume shops are often a bad idea, as you've discovered.
                      >
                      > -- Gregory

                    • dark_lady_of_the_sidhe
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 12, 2005
                        Regarding loaner garb... The SCA is full of wonderfully generous
                        people. While my group *does* have a Gold Key, sometimes it is not
                        easily available, not available on very short notice, or not adequate
                        to the needs of a newcomer (for reasons of size, fabric allergies,
                        etc). In those cases, I have often sized up the newcomer and then
                        asked similarly sized local gentles if they might be willing to lend
                        an outfit or two to clothe the newbie. (If you do not have any
                        suitably sized gentle living nearby, often a post to the hosting
                        group's email list including the newcomer's height, weight, and gender
                        will garner a volunteer or two.) I don't think I have ever been turned
                        down when making such a request, and a personal loan of garb certainly
                        gives the newcomer the feeling that the other SCA members are
                        welcoming and supportive.

                        ~Eithni, the chronic chatelaine