Re: input on travel chest ideas

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Angharad ver' Reynulf
      <dragonwolfcat@y...> wrote:

      > In regards to keeping scrap wood to keep the boxes off
      > of the ground, would it be feasible to add feet to the
      > bases of the boxes? With their help, I should be able
      > to get basic wood cut to add maybe a 2" foot?
      > (something like a 2 x 2 running down the width so that
      > the grain is sideways? not certain what was meant by
      > that) That would raise the boxes off of the ground,
      > and with the possible stacking, also allow the
      > poles/slats to be run underneath them while packing
      > the van.
      You might want to think about removable feet. I have a chest with feet
      and I find that trying to shove it in and out of the ridged bedliner
      in my pick-up is a pain.. For my flat bottomed kitchen box, I keep a
      few pieces of 2"x"4 scraps around, which is usually enough to raise
      them off the ground when needed. When it's time to shove things back
      in the truck, the flat bottomed box slides right in again, the scrap
      wood pieces are small enough to fit in odd corners, and you haven't
      added any weight to your box.

      Since you're planning on your boxes doubling as seating, you might try
      this. Cut two pieces of 2"x4" the width of your box plus 8 inches.
      Cut four pieces 4 inches long. Drill each 4" piece for a bolt in the
      center. Measure 4" from each end of the long pieces and drill the
      centers of each 4" square on these as well. Sandwich the long pieces
      between two 4" pieces at each end and bolt them together. You should
      end up with something that looks like a squat H. If you measure
      correctly, you should be able to sit your box on the long slats and
      the 4" squares on the top of each end will keep it from shifting
      around when someone sits on it. This will add 4" of height to your
      box, though you could cut and add 4" squares to the bottom of the H if
      you wanted more height. And again, once you want to pick up your box
      to move it, the legs come off and aren't adding weight to your burden.

      Hope this makes sense.

      Jehanne

      Does this make any sense?

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
        At 09:35 AM 2/3/2005, you wrote:

        >I'm a 14thC maven, and I might buy one myself. :-) I would suggest painting
        >the galvanized handles black to make them less obtrusive, but staining is
        >optional. Lots of medieval chests were painted. This box at only 7 7/8
        >inches high will be too short for you to sit on, but may be just right for
        >your boys if they are still small. Great size for carrying, though.
        >
        >I went through the same thing for a number of years with building or buying
        >boxes too big to reasonably carry. Oddly enough, the longest-in-use piece
        >of gear I own is a round-top chest I bought at the 20-year celebration.
        >Small enough to carry, large enough to be useful, and I don't set things on
        >the curved top, which means it's available when I want to sit on it. :-)
        >The brass handles are modern, but I love this box and still use it anyway.
        >
        >Morgan Athenry
        >--- Laurie Cavanaugh
        >--- lscavanaugh@...

        I don't know if you noticed, but there are two sizes--the other one is 12"
        high. Still a little short, but better.

        Mary Taran

      • DawnsHebog@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2005
          dragonwolfcat@... writes:
          I do know how to stain, paint and can assemble
          kits/models, so would this be a good compromise for
          say 3-5 years for someone who does 14th Cen. Welsh
          with anywhere from 0-3 boys at an event?
          I can't beat their mass production prices, and they look very sturdy. I say
          try one of theirs, and see how it goes for a season. You might even make sure
          it gets its fair share of abuse by dropping, exposing to sun, and an hour of
          good rain soaking.
          Just to try it out, and you'll only lose twenty bucks on it.
          I know what my stuff will do, but I do all my work by hand, and charge for it.

        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4, 2005
            <dragonwolfcat@y...> wrote:

            > Kartotek box with Lid, $19.99

            I picked one up at the local IKEA yesterday and will probably assemble
            it tomorrow. I thought it looked OK and certainly sturdy enough. Paint
            or swapping out the hardware will hide the shiny galvanized bits.

            Don't know if it's obvious from the catalog listing, but the lid is
            not attached to the body of the box in any way. You'd have to install
            your own hinges if you want a hinged top.

            Jehanne
          • Angharad ver' Reynulf
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2005
              Thank you for the update Jehanne!

              I have to travel a bit to IKEA, so I was definitely
              hoping to get as much info as possible before hand.

              Angharat

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2005
                <dragonwolfcat@y...> wrote:
                > Thank you for the update Jehanne!

                You're welcome. I just peeled off the plastic and laid out the parts
                for assembly and wanted to let you know that the handles are already
                attached to the sides - with rivets. If you decide you want to swap
                out the hardware, you'll have to pry them off forcibly.

                Assembly-wise, the sides are slotted so that the bottom panel fits
                into it. It's never a bad idea to put a little wood glue in these
                slots for added strength. The bottom panel is a thinner ply than all
                the other parts, but should be OK unless you're planning on hauling
                cannonballs in it. ;->

                As mentioned previously, the lid lifts off. The short sides of the lid
                are beveled to fit flush, strips of plywood appear to be glued on the
                underside running along the long sides so the lid doesn't surf off the
                chest. Caveat: I also have their APA storage box and one of the
                screwed on strips decided not to stay screwed after a rough ride off a
                primitive site. Depending on how hard you are on the box, you might
                have to reattach one or both of these at a future date.

                The long sides of the lid are not beveled, so if you want to attach
                hinges and a hasp of some sort, you should be able to do so.

                Oh, and you'll need a Phillips head screwdriver to screw the sides to
                the front and back panels.

                Back to work,
                Jehanne
              • wodeford
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5, 2005
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:

                  > Oh, and you'll need a Phillips head screwdriver to screw the sides to
                  > the front and back panels.

                  And possibly a drill - while there were screw holes predrilled, they
                  didn't *quite* line up correctly, so I had to re-drill most of the
                  ones on mine.

                  And sandpaper.

                  Other than that, it goes together very easily.

                  Jehanne