Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

input on travel chest ideas

Expand Messages
  • Angharad ver' Reynulf
    I m trying to work on getting my gear packed into more appropriate containers for taking to and from events, preferably that can also double as seating or
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      I'm trying to work on getting my gear packed into more
      appropriate containers for taking to and from events,
      preferably that can also double as seating or small
      tables.

      I have absolutely no woodworking skills, no tools and
      with working on my wedding for this year, honestly, no
      time, although I've been looking at some of the online
      articles on chests and beds and *dreaming.*

      But the stuff I'm using I cannot lift anymore-which
      causes problems and it's larger: 26" by 18" by 16" at
      a rough guess.

      I do know how to stain, paint and can assemble
      kits/models, so would this be a good compromise for
      say 3-5 years for someone who does 14th Cen. Welsh
      with anywhere from 0-3 boys at an event?

      http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=33874

      Kartotek box with Lid, $19.99
      product description & measurements
      Main part: Birch plywood
      Handle: Steel, Galvanized

      Length: 22 1/2 "
      Width: 12 5/8 "
      Height: 11 5/8 "

      Length: 57 cm
      Width: 32 cm
      Height: 29.5 cm


      Thank you,

      Angharat verch Reynulf
      An Tir



      __________________________________
      Do you Yahoo!?
      The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
      http://my.yahoo.com
    • wodeford
      ... http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=33874 ... I was eyeing wooden chests at Cost
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Angharad ver' Reynulf
        <dragonwolfcat@y...> wrote:

        > I do know how to stain, paint and can assemble
        > kits/models, so would this be a good compromise for
        > say 3-5 years for someone who does 14th Cen. Welsh
        > with anywhere from 0-3 boys at an event?
        >
        http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=33874
        >
        > Kartotek box with Lid, $19.99
        > product description & measurements
        > Main part: Birch plywood
        > Handle: Steel, Galvanized

        I was eyeing wooden chests at Cost Plus, Pier One and Target and most
        of them are meant to be either decorative or furniture, i.e., either
        too flimsy or too doggone heavy to travel with. I think this box looks
        pretty good except for that shiny galvanized hardware - and that you
        can paint over or remove. I may have to toddle over to my local IKEA
        and have a look this afternoon!

        Jehanne
      • Laurie Cavanaugh
        I m a 14thC maven, and I might buy one myself. :-) I would suggest painting the galvanized handles black to make them less obtrusive, but staining is optional.
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          I'm a 14thC maven, and I might buy one myself. :-) I would suggest painting
          the galvanized handles black to make them less obtrusive, but staining is
          optional. Lots of medieval chests were painted. This box at only 7 7/8
          inches high will be too short for you to sit on, but may be just right for
          your boys if they are still small. Great size for carrying, though.

          I went through the same thing for a number of years with building or buying
          boxes too big to reasonably carry. Oddly enough, the longest-in-use piece
          of gear I own is a round-top chest I bought at the 20-year celebration.
          Small enough to carry, large enough to be useful, and I don't set things on
          the curved top, which means it's available when I want to sit on it. :-)
          The brass handles are modern, but I love this box and still use it anyway.

          Morgan Athenry
          --- Laurie Cavanaugh
          --- lscavanaugh@...
        • Gary Halstead
          As someone pointed out, this might be little low to sit on. Two pieces of advice: definitely give it a coat of paint or varnish (I d go for paint,
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            As someone pointed out, this might be little low to sit on. Two pieces
            of advice: definitely give it a coat of paint or varnish (I'd go for
            paint, personally) to seal it - it will last much longer that way.
            Also, get a couple of pieces of scrap wood to keep it off the ground
            while you're camping; prolonged dampness will kill most interior plywood.

            Ranulf,
            Wood Geek

            Angharad ver' Reynulf wrote:
            >
            > I'm trying to work on getting my gear packed into more
            > appropriate containers for taking to and from events,
            > preferably that can also double as seating or small
            > tables.
            >
            > I have absolutely no woodworking skills, no tools and
            > with working on my wedding for this year, honestly, no
            > time, although I've been looking at some of the online
            > articles on chests and beds and *dreaming.*
            >
            > But the stuff I'm using I cannot lift anymore-which
            > causes problems and it's larger: 26" by 18" by 16" at
            > a rough guess.
            >
            > I do know how to stain, paint and can assemble
            > kits/models, so would this be a good compromise for
            > say 3-5 years for someone who does 14th Cen. Welsh
            > with anywhere from 0-3 boys at an event?
            >
            > http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=33874
            >
            > Kartotek box with Lid, $19.99
            > product description & measurements
            > Main part: Birch plywood
            > Handle: Steel, Galvanized
            >
            > Length: 22 1/2 "
            > Width: 12 5/8 "
            > Height: 11 5/8 "
            >
            > Length: 57 cm
            > Width: 32 cm
            > Height: 29.5 cm
            >
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > Angharat verch Reynulf
            > An Tir
          • Marion McNealy
            Another thought, make yourself cloth bags to carry your gear and get stools and or chairs for sitting on. This last summer, I made some very simple cloth bags
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              Another thought, make yourself cloth bags to carry your gear and get stools and or chairs for sitting on.

              This last summer, I made some very simple cloth bags from a length of linen fabric to carry my bedding and clothing in. They have handles and ties on the sides and the middle and are very light to carry.

              For seating, those three legged folding artist stools are period for 16th century, and bench seating is also period for a large range of time.

              -Marion








              Angharad ver' Reynulf wrote:
              >
              > I'm trying to work on getting my gear packed into more
              > appropriate containers for taking to and from events,
              > preferably that can also double as seating or small
              > tables.





              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Angharad ver' Reynulf
              Thank you all for your quick input. I have offers from two local friends to help assemble these and assist in any necessary adjustments. (see below) In regards
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
              • 0 Attachment
                Thank you all for your quick input.

                I have offers from two local friends to help assemble
                these and assist in any necessary adjustments. (see
                below)

                In regards to keeping scrap wood to keep the boxes off
                of the ground, would it be feasible to add feet to the
                bases of the boxes? With their help, I should be able
                to get basic wood cut to add maybe a 2" foot?
                (something like a 2 x 2 running down the width so that
                the grain is sideways? not certain what was meant by
                that) That would raise the boxes off of the ground,
                and with the possible stacking, also allow the
                poles/slats to be run underneath them while packing
                the van.

                My lower leg length from heel to inner knee bend is
                just under 16". So it would also almost lift it to a
                comfortable height for me, the addition of a nicely
                worked cushion should do it, I think.

                Angharat




                __________________________________
                Do you Yahoo!?
                Meet the all-new My Yahoo! - Try it today!
                http://my.yahoo.com
              • wodeford
                ... You might want to think about removable feet. I have a chest with feet and I find that trying to shove it in and out of the ridged bedliner in my pick-up
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
                • 0 Attachment
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Angharad ver' Reynulf
                  <dragonwolfcat@y...> wrote:

                  > In regards to keeping scrap wood to keep the boxes off
                  > of the ground, would it be feasible to add feet to the
                  > bases of the boxes? With their help, I should be able
                  > to get basic wood cut to add maybe a 2" foot?
                  > (something like a 2 x 2 running down the width so that
                  > the grain is sideways? not certain what was meant by
                  > that) That would raise the boxes off of the ground,
                  > and with the possible stacking, also allow the
                  > poles/slats to be run underneath them while packing
                  > the van.
                  You might want to think about removable feet. I have a chest with feet
                  and I find that trying to shove it in and out of the ridged bedliner
                  in my pick-up is a pain.. For my flat bottomed kitchen box, I keep a
                  few pieces of 2"x"4 scraps around, which is usually enough to raise
                  them off the ground when needed. When it's time to shove things back
                  in the truck, the flat bottomed box slides right in again, the scrap
                  wood pieces are small enough to fit in odd corners, and you haven't
                  added any weight to your box.

                  Since you're planning on your boxes doubling as seating, you might try
                  this. Cut two pieces of 2"x4" the width of your box plus 8 inches.
                  Cut four pieces 4 inches long. Drill each 4" piece for a bolt in the
                  center. Measure 4" from each end of the long pieces and drill the
                  centers of each 4" square on these as well. Sandwich the long pieces
                  between two 4" pieces at each end and bolt them together. You should
                  end up with something that looks like a squat H. If you measure
                  correctly, you should be able to sit your box on the long slats and
                  the 4" squares on the top of each end will keep it from shifting
                  around when someone sits on it. This will add 4" of height to your
                  box, though you could cut and add 4" squares to the bottom of the H if
                  you wanted more height. And again, once you want to pick up your box
                  to move it, the legs come off and aren't adding weight to your burden.

                  Hope this makes sense.

                  Jehanne

                  Does this make any sense?
                  >
                  > My lower leg length from heel to inner knee bend is
                  > just under 16". So it would also almost lift it to a
                  > comfortable height for me, the addition of a nicely
                  > worked cushion should do it, I think.
                  >
                  > Angharat
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > __________________________________
                  > Do you Yahoo!?
                  > Meet the all-new My Yahoo! - Try it today!
                  > http://my.yahoo.com
                • Mary Taran
                  ... I don t know if you noticed, but there are two sizes--the other one is 12 high. Still a little short, but better. Mary Taran -- No virus found in this
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
                  • 0 Attachment
                    At 09:35 AM 2/3/2005, you wrote:


                    >I'm a 14thC maven, and I might buy one myself. :-) I would suggest painting
                    >the galvanized handles black to make them less obtrusive, but staining is
                    >optional. Lots of medieval chests were painted. This box at only 7 7/8
                    >inches high will be too short for you to sit on, but may be just right for
                    >your boys if they are still small. Great size for carrying, though.
                    >
                    >I went through the same thing for a number of years with building or buying
                    >boxes too big to reasonably carry. Oddly enough, the longest-in-use piece
                    >of gear I own is a round-top chest I bought at the 20-year celebration.
                    >Small enough to carry, large enough to be useful, and I don't set things on
                    >the curved top, which means it's available when I want to sit on it. :-)
                    >The brass handles are modern, but I love this box and still use it anyway.
                    >
                    >Morgan Athenry
                    >--- Laurie Cavanaugh
                    >--- lscavanaugh@...

                    I don't know if you noticed, but there are two sizes--the other one is 12"
                    high. Still a little short, but better.

                    Mary Taran


                    --
                    No virus found in this outgoing message.
                    Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
                    Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.4 - Release Date: 2/1/2005
                  • DawnsHebog@aol.com
                    In a message dated 2/3/05 9:14:52 AM Pacific Standard Time, dragonwolfcat@yahoo.com writes: I do know how to stain, paint and can assemble kits/models, so
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 4, 2005
                    • 0 Attachment
                      In a message dated 2/3/05 9:14:52 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                      dragonwolfcat@... writes:
                      I do know how to stain, paint and can assemble
                      kits/models, so would this be a good compromise for
                      say 3-5 years for someone who does 14th Cen. Welsh
                      with anywhere from 0-3 boys at an event?
                      I can't beat their mass production prices, and they look very sturdy. I say
                      try one of theirs, and see how it goes for a season. You might even make sure
                      it gets its fair share of abuse by dropping, exposing to sun, and an hour of
                      good rain soaking.
                      Just to try it out, and you'll only lose twenty bucks on it.
                      I know what my stuff will do, but I do all my work by hand, and charge for it.

                      H


                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    • wodeford
                      ... I picked one up at the local IKEA yesterday and will probably assemble it tomorrow. I thought it looked OK and certainly sturdy enough. Paint or swapping
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 4, 2005
                      • 0 Attachment
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Angharad ver' Reynulf
                        <dragonwolfcat@y...> wrote:

                        > Kartotek box with Lid, $19.99

                        I picked one up at the local IKEA yesterday and will probably assemble
                        it tomorrow. I thought it looked OK and certainly sturdy enough. Paint
                        or swapping out the hardware will hide the shiny galvanized bits.

                        Don't know if it's obvious from the catalog listing, but the lid is
                        not attached to the body of the box in any way. You'd have to install
                        your own hinges if you want a hinged top.

                        Jehanne
                      • Angharad ver' Reynulf
                        Thank you for the update Jehanne! I have to travel a bit to IKEA, so I was definitely hoping to get as much info as possible before hand. Angharat
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 4, 2005
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Thank you for the update Jehanne!

                          I have to travel a bit to IKEA, so I was definitely
                          hoping to get as much info as possible before hand.

                          Angharat


                          __________________________________________________
                          Do You Yahoo!?
                          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • wodeford
                          ... You re welcome. I just peeled off the plastic and laid out the parts for assembly and wanted to let you know that the handles are already attached to the
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 5, 2005
                          • 0 Attachment
                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Angharad ver' Reynulf
                            <dragonwolfcat@y...> wrote:
                            > Thank you for the update Jehanne!

                            You're welcome. I just peeled off the plastic and laid out the parts
                            for assembly and wanted to let you know that the handles are already
                            attached to the sides - with rivets. If you decide you want to swap
                            out the hardware, you'll have to pry them off forcibly.

                            Assembly-wise, the sides are slotted so that the bottom panel fits
                            into it. It's never a bad idea to put a little wood glue in these
                            slots for added strength. The bottom panel is a thinner ply than all
                            the other parts, but should be OK unless you're planning on hauling
                            cannonballs in it. ;->

                            As mentioned previously, the lid lifts off. The short sides of the lid
                            are beveled to fit flush, strips of plywood appear to be glued on the
                            underside running along the long sides so the lid doesn't surf off the
                            chest. Caveat: I also have their APA storage box and one of the
                            screwed on strips decided not to stay screwed after a rough ride off a
                            primitive site. Depending on how hard you are on the box, you might
                            have to reattach one or both of these at a future date.

                            The long sides of the lid are not beveled, so if you want to attach
                            hinges and a hasp of some sort, you should be able to do so.

                            Oh, and you'll need a Phillips head screwdriver to screw the sides to
                            the front and back panels.

                            Back to work,
                            Jehanne
                          • wodeford
                            ... And possibly a drill - while there were screw holes predrilled, they didn t *quite* line up correctly, so I had to re-drill most of the ones on mine. And
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 5, 2005
                            • 0 Attachment
                              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:

                              > Oh, and you'll need a Phillips head screwdriver to screw the sides to
                              > the front and back panels.

                              And possibly a drill - while there were screw holes predrilled, they
                              didn't *quite* line up correctly, so I had to re-drill most of the
                              ones on mine.

                              And sandpaper.

                              Other than that, it goes together very easily.

                              Jehanne
                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.