Translation request

  • Sabine
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
      Bonjour mes amis!

      Apologies for the cross-posting from the Rialto, but...

      I received a request for translation of two phrases:
      "Who dares, wins"
      and
      "Fortune favors the bold"

      Astoundingly enough, the gentle doesn't want Latin. �;) Instead, he
      would prefer Gaelic (first choice Scots, according to him�) or Old
      English. Pronunciation tips would be helpful.

      Many thanks in advance to anyone able to assist.

      Your servant and that of the East,
      Sabine de Kerbriant

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Chris Laning
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
        Seeing Sabine's post reminds me that I, too have a translation
        request -- though of a different sort.

        I am trying to translate as precisely as possible at least some of
        the parts of Alanus de Rupe's _Unser lieben frauen psalter_ (1521
        ed.), which is one of the first printed rosary books (originally
        published in 1483, IIRC).

        I'm a bit out of my depth here: German is not my best language (I
        have to look up at least half the words), and since I'm working from
        a microfilm of the original, I'm having to deal with blackletter type
        *and* 16th-century word forms and spellings on top of everything
        else. I've already discovered that 16th century German seems to have
        a couple of letters in its alphabet that I'd never seen before <wry
        grin>.

        This project got its start when I was trying to understand just what
        arrangement of beads the author had in mind for a particular
        paternoster in one of his "Exempla" (anecdotes). Due to a couple of
        _very_ helpful folks elsewhere -- especially to one who not only
        corrected my transcription but gave me translations into modern
        German -- I think I've now got a handle on that one.

        But now I'm intrigued, and I want to read the REST of the book. It's
        not terribly long, but I haven't been able to turn up a modern
        translation into English, or even into modern German, anywhere. (I'd
        still read the original but it would be immensely helpful to have
        something to put alongside of it.)

        Clues, anyone?

        P.S.
        BTW, if anyone else is interested, the original images of the two
        pages of Exemplum 10 are online at:
        http://photos4.flickr.com/4031576_e02c09d3a7_o.gif
        http://photos3.flickr.com/4031572_5297328c56_o.gif

        And the illustration mentioned in that text is online at:
        http://photos4.flickr.com/4031575_c2e874747b.jpg

        O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
        + Chris Laning <claning@...>
      • Daniela Kiefhaber
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
          Hi Chris (and others who may be interested)!

          Perhaps I could be some sort of help.
          I?m only a lurker in this group - so I may introduce myself before I tell
          you more:
          I?m Katharina von Aue, living in the Shire of Isengau, in Drachenwald.
          In the mundane world my name is Daniela Kiefhaber, I live somewhat near
          Munich, Bavaria, Germany.
          I have a Master Degree in Middle High German, so if you find a way to send
          me the texts I could translate them in Modern German and help you with the
          translation into English. I?ve looked at the pages and they seem no problem
          at all. At least they are printed and no handwriting from 13th century...
          I?m not that good at English, so I would not dare to try the translation
          into English on my own.
          Just an idea...

          In service,
          Katharina
[...]

        • Angharad ver' Reynulf
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
            I'm trying to work on getting my gear packed into more
            appropriate containers for taking to and from events,
            preferably that can also double as seating or small
            tables.

            I have absolutely no woodworking skills, no tools and
            with working on my wedding for this year, honestly, no
            time, although I've been looking at some of the online
            articles on chests and beds and *dreaming.*

            But the stuff I'm using I cannot lift anymore-which
            causes problems and it's larger: 26" by 18" by 16" at
            a rough guess.

            I do know how to stain, paint and can assemble
            kits/models, so would this be a good compromise for
            say 3-5 years for someone who does 14th Cen. Welsh
            with anywhere from 0-3 boys at an event?

            http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=33874

            Kartotek box with Lid, $19.99
            product description & measurements
            Main part: Birch plywood
            Handle: Steel, Galvanized

            Length: 22 1/2 "
            Width: 12 5/8 "
            Height: 11 5/8 "

            Length: 57 cm
            Width: 32 cm
            Height: 29.5 cm

            Thank you,

            Angharat verch Reynulf
            An Tir

            The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
            http://my.yahoo.com
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Angharad ver' Reynulf
              <dragonwolfcat@y...> wrote:

              > I do know how to stain, paint and can assemble
              > kits/models, so would this be a good compromise for
              > say 3-5 years for someone who does 14th Cen. Welsh
              > with anywhere from 0-3 boys at an event?

              http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=33874

              > Kartotek box with Lid, $19.99
              > product description & measurements
              > Main part: Birch plywood
              > Handle: Steel, Galvanized

              I was eyeing wooden chests at Cost Plus, Pier One and Target and most
              of them are meant to be either decorative or furniture, i.e., either
              too flimsy or too doggone heavy to travel with. I think this box looks
              pretty good except for that shiny galvanized hardware - and that you
              can paint over or remove. I may have to toddle over to my local IKEA
              and have a look this afternoon!

              Jehanne
            • Laurie Cavanaugh
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
                I'm a 14thC maven, and I might buy one myself. :-) I would suggest painting
                the galvanized handles black to make them less obtrusive, but staining is
                optional. Lots of medieval chests were painted. This box at only 7 7/8
                inches high will be too short for you to sit on, but may be just right for
                your boys if they are still small. Great size for carrying, though.

                I went through the same thing for a number of years with building or buying
                boxes too big to reasonably carry. Oddly enough, the longest-in-use piece
                of gear I own is a round-top chest I bought at the 20-year celebration.
                Small enough to carry, large enough to be useful, and I don't set things on
                the curved top, which means it's available when I want to sit on it. :-)
                The brass handles are modern, but I love this box and still use it anyway.

                Morgan Athenry
                --- Laurie Cavanaugh
                --- lscavanaugh@...
              • Gary Halstead
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
                  As someone pointed out, this might be little low to sit on. Two pieces
                  of advice: definitely give it a coat of paint or varnish (I'd go for
                  paint, personally) to seal it - it will last much longer that way.
                  Also, get a couple of pieces of scrap wood to keep it off the ground
                  while you're camping; prolonged dampness will kill most interior plywood.

                  Ranulf,
                  Wood Geek

                  Angharad ver' Reynulf wrote:

                  > I'm trying to work on getting my gear packed into more
                  > appropriate containers for taking to and from events,
                  > preferably that can also double as seating or small
                  > tables.
                  >
                  > I have absolutely no woodworking skills, no tools and
                  > with working on my wedding for this year, honestly, no
                  > time, although I've been looking at some of the online
                  > articles on chests and beds and *dreaming.*
                  >
                  > But the stuff I'm using I cannot lift anymore-which
                  > causes problems and it's larger: 26" by 18" by 16" at
                  > a rough guess.
                  >
                  > I do know how to stain, paint and can assemble
                  > kits/models, so would this be a good compromise for
                  > say 3-5 years for someone who does 14th Cen. Welsh
                  > with anywhere from 0-3 boys at an event?
                  >
                  > http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=12&langId=-1&catalogId=10101&productId=33874
                  >
                  > Kartotek box with Lid, $19.99
                  > product description & measurements
                  > Main part: Birch plywood
                  > Handle: Steel, Galvanized
                  >
                  > Length: 22 1/2 "
                  > Width: 12 5/8 "
                  > Height: 11 5/8 "
                  >
                  > Length: 57 cm
                  > Width: 32 cm
                  > Height: 29.5 cm
                  >

                  > Thank you,
                  >
                  > Angharat verch Reynulf
                  > An Tir
                • Marion McNealy
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
                    Another thought, make yourself cloth bags to carry your gear and get stools and or chairs for sitting on.

                    This last summer, I made some very simple cloth bags from a length of linen fabric to carry my bedding and clothing in. They have handles and ties on the sides and the middle and are very light to carry.

                    For seating, those three legged folding artist stools are period for 16th century, and bench seating is also period for a large range of time.

                    -Marion

                    Angharad ver' Reynulf wrote:

                    > I'm trying to work on getting my gear packed into more
                    > appropriate containers for taking to and from events,
                    > preferably that can also double as seating or small
                    > tables.

                  • Angharad ver' Reynulf
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
                      Thank you all for your quick input.

                      I have offers from two local friends to help assemble
                      these and assist in any necessary adjustments. (see
                      below)

                      In regards to keeping scrap wood to keep the boxes off
                      of the ground, would it be feasible to add feet to the
                      bases of the boxes? With their help, I should be able
                      to get basic wood cut to add maybe a 2" foot?
                      (something like a 2 x 2 running down the width so that
                      the grain is sideways? not certain what was meant by
                      that) That would raise the boxes off of the ground,
                      and with the possible stacking, also allow the
                      poles/slats to be run underneath them while packing
                      the van.

                      My lower leg length from heel to inner knee bend is
                      just under 16". So it would also almost lift it to a
                      comfortable height for me, the addition of a nicely
                      worked cushion should do it, I think.

                      Angharat

                      http://my.yahoo.com
                    • wodeford
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
                        <dragonwolfcat@y...> wrote:

                        > In regards to keeping scrap wood to keep the boxes off
                        > of the ground, would it be feasible to add feet to the
                        > bases of the boxes? With their help, I should be able
                        > to get basic wood cut to add maybe a 2" foot?
                        > (something like a 2 x 2 running down the width so that
                        > the grain is sideways? not certain what was meant by
                        > that) That would raise the boxes off of the ground,
                        > and with the possible stacking, also allow the
                        > poles/slats to be run underneath them while packing
                        > the van.
                        You might want to think about removable feet. I have a chest with feet
                        and I find that trying to shove it in and out of the ridged bedliner
                        in my pick-up is a pain.. For my flat bottomed kitchen box, I keep a
                        few pieces of 2"x"4 scraps around, which is usually enough to raise
                        them off the ground when needed. When it's time to shove things back
                        in the truck, the flat bottomed box slides right in again, the scrap
                        wood pieces are small enough to fit in odd corners, and you haven't
                        added any weight to your box.

                        Since you're planning on your boxes doubling as seating, you might try
                        this. Cut two pieces of 2"x4" the width of your box plus 8 inches.
                        Cut four pieces 4 inches long. Drill each 4" piece for a bolt in the
                        center. Measure 4" from each end of the long pieces and drill the
                        centers of each 4" square on these as well. Sandwich the long pieces
                        between two 4" pieces at each end and bolt them together. You should
                        end up with something that looks like a squat H. If you measure
                        correctly, you should be able to sit your box on the long slats and
                        the 4" squares on the top of each end will keep it from shifting
                        around when someone sits on it. This will add 4" of height to your
                        box, though you could cut and add 4" squares to the bottom of the H if
                        you wanted more height. And again, once you want to pick up your box
                        to move it, the legs come off and aren't adding weight to your burden.

                        Hope this makes sense.

                        Jehanne

                        Does this make any sense?

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
                          At 09:35 AM 2/3/2005, you wrote:

                          >I'm a 14thC maven, and I might buy one myself. :-) I would suggest painting
                          >the galvanized handles black to make them less obtrusive, but staining is
                          >optional. Lots of medieval chests were painted. This box at only 7 7/8
                          >inches high will be too short for you to sit on, but may be just right for
                          >your boys if they are still small. Great size for carrying, though.
                          >
                          >I went through the same thing for a number of years with building or buying
                          >boxes too big to reasonably carry. Oddly enough, the longest-in-use piece
                          >of gear I own is a round-top chest I bought at the 20-year celebration.
                          >Small enough to carry, large enough to be useful, and I don't set things on
                          >the curved top, which means it's available when I want to sit on it. :-)
                          >The brass handles are modern, but I love this box and still use it anyway.
                          >
                          >Morgan Athenry
                          >--- Laurie Cavanaugh
                          >--- lscavanaugh@...

                          I don't know if you noticed, but there are two sizes--the other one is 12"
                          high. Still a little short, but better.

                          Mary Taran

                        • DawnsHebog@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 4, 2005
                            dragonwolfcat@... writes:
                            I do know how to stain, paint and can assemble
                            kits/models, so would this be a good compromise for
                            say 3-5 years for someone who does 14th Cen. Welsh
                            with anywhere from 0-3 boys at an event?
                            I can't beat their mass production prices, and they look very sturdy. I say
                            try one of theirs, and see how it goes for a season. You might even make sure
                            it gets its fair share of abuse by dropping, exposing to sun, and an hour of
                            good rain soaking.
                            Just to try it out, and you'll only lose twenty bucks on it.
                            I know what my stuff will do, but I do all my work by hand, and charge for it.

                          • wodeford
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 4, 2005
                              <dragonwolfcat@y...> wrote:

                              > Kartotek box with Lid, $19.99

                              I picked one up at the local IKEA yesterday and will probably assemble
                              it tomorrow. I thought it looked OK and certainly sturdy enough. Paint
                              or swapping out the hardware will hide the shiny galvanized bits.

                              Don't know if it's obvious from the catalog listing, but the lid is
                              not attached to the body of the box in any way. You'd have to install
                              your own hinges if you want a hinged top.

                              Jehanne
                            • Angharad ver' Reynulf
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 4, 2005
                                Thank you for the update Jehanne!

                                I have to travel a bit to IKEA, so I was definitely
                                hoping to get as much info as possible before hand.

                                Angharat

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • wodeford
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 5, 2005
                                  <dragonwolfcat@y...> wrote:
                                  > Thank you for the update Jehanne!

                                  You're welcome. I just peeled off the plastic and laid out the parts
                                  for assembly and wanted to let you know that the handles are already
                                  attached to the sides - with rivets. If you decide you want to swap
                                  out the hardware, you'll have to pry them off forcibly.

                                  Assembly-wise, the sides are slotted so that the bottom panel fits
                                  into it. It's never a bad idea to put a little wood glue in these
                                  slots for added strength. The bottom panel is a thinner ply than all
                                  the other parts, but should be OK unless you're planning on hauling
                                  cannonballs in it. ;->

                                  As mentioned previously, the lid lifts off. The short sides of the lid
                                  are beveled to fit flush, strips of plywood appear to be glued on the
                                  underside running along the long sides so the lid doesn't surf off the
                                  chest. Caveat: I also have their APA storage box and one of the
                                  screwed on strips decided not to stay screwed after a rough ride off a
                                  primitive site. Depending on how hard you are on the box, you might
                                  have to reattach one or both of these at a future date.

                                  The long sides of the lid are not beveled, so if you want to attach
                                  hinges and a hasp of some sort, you should be able to do so.

                                  Oh, and you'll need a Phillips head screwdriver to screw the sides to
                                  the front and back panels.

                                  Back to work,
                                  Jehanne
                                • wodeford
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 5, 2005
                                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:

                                    > Oh, and you'll need a Phillips head screwdriver to screw the sides to
                                    > the front and back panels.

                                    And possibly a drill - while there were screw holes predrilled, they
                                    didn't *quite* line up correctly, so I had to re-drill most of the
                                    ones on mine.

                                    And sandpaper.

                                    Other than that, it goes together very easily.

                                    Jehanne