Re: [Authentic_SCA] medieval Seal Ring replicas

  • Jeff Gedney
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
      >Click on the Rings link in the left frame. Scroll to the bottom
      >of the window. There is a late 17th century German signet ring.
      >For Sale. Wow.

      Its nice...
      It would probably be closer to period style with a solid band.

      >What makes the originals both cool and difficult/expensive to
      >replicate is the hand engraving. You could fake this by carving
      >the ring in wax and casting it, but if you really want to do the
      >medieval thing, engrave it.

      Aye...
      Actually I was hoping to do most of the main work using lost-wax, with a little engraving for the finicky stuff, in Pewter at first, and then later if I want to get serious about it, brass or silver.

      If I ever wanted to do this in any kind of production, I'd pretty much have to stick to just lost-wax casting. I just don't have time to do a ton of finicky work and then risk days of work on the slip of a burr.

      Capt Elias
      -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

      If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
      wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
      to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
      - Antoine de Saint Exupery
    • DawnsHebog@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
        In a message dated 1/31/05 10:25:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        jenniferanne21@... writes:

        Both my brother and sister-in-law have signet rings which I know he
        special ordered at Pennsic years ago. I'll see if he remembers from
        whom.
        Have you tried Drachenstein's(?) Treasures?
        Master Lothair is an excellent jeweller, and doesn't have a laurel for
        nothing.

      • julian wilson
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
          DawnsHebog@... wrote:

          jenniferanne21@... writes:

          Both my brother and sister-in-law have signet rings which I know he special ordered at Pennsic years ago. I'll see if he remembers from whom.
          SNIP

          Master Lothair is an excellent jeweller, and doesn't have a laurel for nothing.

          Any Master Craftsman is worth his Fee, - but the practice of any High Art comes with a commensurate cost attached.
          Over the last 2 years I have found some 30 working jewellers and engravers worldwide, who told me they would be delighted to make me replica medieval seal rings copying any picture of an extant museum-exhibit ring I might send them - but at Retail Jewellers' Prices!
          Which I could not afford.
          Those Readers who would like Seal Rings that look good, and that really work, - and will produce a seal impression showing your own SCA Arms - but who cannot afford to pay Retail Jewellery Trade prices, - contact me - and I'll put you in touch with a Craftsman who is charging me only 20% of what I was quoted [as an average cost] from members of the Retail Jewellery Trade in N. America and Western Europe.

          Yours in service,
          Julian Wilson,
          [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
          late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
          "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
          [the only medieval living-history Group
          in "olde" Jersey]

        • Lisa
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 6, 2005
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
            to California.

            > a bit behind due to the arrival of little Michael on Jan 22

            Congratulations! Best wishes to him and all the family!

            Ysabel
          • Darcellena@triton.net
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 6, 2005
              Does anyone know if there was an equivalent to the modern variety or
              talent show during the time period that the SCA covers? Obviously, it
              could include various bardic, singing, and theatrical performances. If
              such a performance venue existed during our wide range of history what was
              it called and how was it organized/conducted? I'm thinking ahead for
              possible A & S event activities.

              Thank you.

              Darcellena