Re: [Authentic_SCA] medieval Seal Ring replicas

  • Laurie Cavanaugh
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
      Slightly OOP, but what the heck. Go to

      http://www.lesenluminures.com/

      Click on the Rings link in the left frame. Scroll to the bottom of the window. There is a late 17th century German signet ring. For Sale. Wow.

      What makes the originals both cool and difficult/expensive to replicate is the hand engraving. You could fake this by carving the ring in wax and casting it, but if you really want to do the medieval thing, engrave it.

      Morgan Athenry
      jewelry dweeb with too many new skills to learn

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
        >Click on the Rings link in the left frame. Scroll to the bottom
        >of the window. There is a late 17th century German signet ring.
        >For Sale. Wow.

        Its nice...
        It would probably be closer to period style with a solid band.

        >What makes the originals both cool and difficult/expensive to
        >replicate is the hand engraving. You could fake this by carving
        >the ring in wax and casting it, but if you really want to do the
        >medieval thing, engrave it.

        Aye...
        Actually I was hoping to do most of the main work using lost-wax, with a little engraving for the finicky stuff, in Pewter at first, and then later if I want to get serious about it, brass or silver.

        If I ever wanted to do this in any kind of production, I'd pretty much have to stick to just lost-wax casting. I just don't have time to do a ton of finicky work and then risk days of work on the slip of a burr.

      • DawnsHebog@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
          In a message dated 1/31/05 10:25:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          jenniferanne21@... writes:

          Both my brother and sister-in-law have signet rings which I know he
          special ordered at Pennsic years ago. I'll see if he remembers from
          whom.
          Have you tried Drachenstein's(?) Treasures?
          Master Lothair is an excellent jeweller, and doesn't have a laurel for
          nothing.

        • julian wilson
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
            DawnsHebog@... wrote:

            jenniferanne21@... writes:

            Both my brother and sister-in-law have signet rings which I know he special ordered at Pennsic years ago. I'll see if he remembers from whom.
            SNIP

            Master Lothair is an excellent jeweller, and doesn't have a laurel for nothing.

            Any Master Craftsman is worth his Fee, - but the practice of any High Art comes with a commensurate cost attached.
            Over the last 2 years I have found some 30 working jewellers and engravers worldwide, who told me they would be delighted to make me replica medieval seal rings copying any picture of an extant museum-exhibit ring I might send them - but at Retail Jewellers' Prices!
            Which I could not afford.
            Those Readers who would like Seal Rings that look good, and that really work, - and will produce a seal impression showing your own SCA Arms - but who cannot afford to pay Retail Jewellery Trade prices, - contact me - and I'll put you in touch with a Craftsman who is charging me only 20% of what I was quoted [as an average cost] from members of the Retail Jewellery Trade in N. America and Western Europe.

            Yours in service,
            Julian Wilson,
            [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
            late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
            "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
            [the only medieval living-history Group
            in "olde" Jersey]

          • Lisa
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 6, 2005
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
              to California.

              > a bit behind due to the arrival of little Michael on Jan 22

              Congratulations! Best wishes to him and all the family!

              Ysabel
            • Darcellena@triton.net
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 6, 2005
                Does anyone know if there was an equivalent to the modern variety or
                talent show during the time period that the SCA covers? Obviously, it
                could include various bardic, singing, and theatrical performances. If
                such a performance venue existed during our wide range of history what was
                it called and how was it organized/conducted? I'm thinking ahead for
                possible A & S event activities.

                Thank you.

                Darcellena