Re: Female version of cioppa

  • lithia_black
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi, and thanks !

      I've read Jaqueline Herald and I'm currently reading Birbari.
      I thought the shape of the cioppa was more lika a cirle section cut
      garment. Several resources compare it with the houppulade.
      But if cioppa is just a heavier type of overdress it's more easy to
      find pictures of it.

      The region I'm going for is Florence since I fell in love with the
      clothing in Ghirlandaios paintings :)

      /L

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Karen Hall <karenh@c...> wrote:
      > Hi Lithia - and welcome to the list!
      >
      > Have you had a look at Jacqueline Herald's _Dress in Renaissance
      Italy: 1400-
      > 1500_ yet? I can't give you the full reference because I'm
      travelling at the
      > moment, but it is a very useful starting point as it discusses
      different items
      > of clothing, and has a lot of relevant pictures collected in it.
      >
      > From memory, a cioppa is designed along similar lines to a
      gamurra, with a
      > tight, high-waisted bodice section. The main different seems to be
      the types
      > of material and decoration used, with richer, heavier materials
      used in the
      > cioppa. There are some references to women wearing only the gamurra
      in summer
      > (useful if you want to authentically justify minimal layers in a
      hot climate)
      > but in those cases the gamurra seem to be made of silk, and to have
      been
      > decorated in some way. Have you decided on any particular place in
      Italy yet?
      > There is some regional variation in clothing, for example
      Florentine dress