Medieval Seals (was re: medieval Seal Ring replicas)

  • Melissa Brown Muckart
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
      Speaking of Medieval seals, there is a form at
      http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/searchourcollections/future.htm

      to quote: "Medieval Seals Online is concerned not only with seals of
      kings, bishops, knights, monasteries and the like, but also those of
      ordinary people (almost unknown, although in fact some four-fifths of
      all surviving seals). This will be a new source of historical evidence -
      for individuals, for the craftsmen and their markets, for the law, for
      art and design, for popular taste and for much else.

      The project will open up this little-known part of our national heritage:
      * To everyone interested in the Middle Ages
      * To teachers, museum curators, and anyone concerned with education
      * To those researching the Middle Ages, especially the people and
      families of the period

      Medieval Seals Online will offer:
      * An interactive introduction <snip>
      * Images of seals available for study and research as well as for
      exhibitions, museum displays etc. <snip>
      * A catalogue, fully searchable under many different heads: <snip>

      Medieval Seals Online can become a reality only if it has funding from
      the Heritage Lottery Fund or elsewhere. The application must show that
      it would have wide support and would be of wide use and interest."

      So if you're interested in seeing this happen, please fill out the form
      (available at the link above). They are not requesting money, just a
      show of interest.

      Thanks.

      Catalina
      (not affiliated with the National Archives)
    • Jeff Gedney
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
        I've actually wanted to try my hand at making some of these...

        Are there any on-line pictures I can refer to?

        The only one I have seen in any detail is an archer's thumb ring/release that is also a seal, which I saw in a old book by the Archery Digest magazine and which I lost in a basement flood a couple of years back.

        Capt Elias
        -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

        If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
        wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
        to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
        - Antoine de Saint Exupery
      • Laurie Cavanaugh
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
          Slightly OOP, but what the heck. Go to

          http://www.lesenluminures.com/

          Click on the Rings link in the left frame. Scroll to the bottom of the window. There is a late 17th century German signet ring. For Sale. Wow.

          What makes the originals both cool and difficult/expensive to replicate is the hand engraving. You could fake this by carving the ring in wax and casting it, but if you really want to do the medieval thing, engrave it.

          Morgan Athenry
          jewelry dweeb with too many new skills to learn

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
            >Click on the Rings link in the left frame. Scroll to the bottom
            >of the window. There is a late 17th century German signet ring.
            >For Sale. Wow.

            Its nice...
            It would probably be closer to period style with a solid band.

            >What makes the originals both cool and difficult/expensive to
            >replicate is the hand engraving. You could fake this by carving
            >the ring in wax and casting it, but if you really want to do the
            >medieval thing, engrave it.

            Aye...
            Actually I was hoping to do most of the main work using lost-wax, with a little engraving for the finicky stuff, in Pewter at first, and then later if I want to get serious about it, brass or silver.

            If I ever wanted to do this in any kind of production, I'd pretty much have to stick to just lost-wax casting. I just don't have time to do a ton of finicky work and then risk days of work on the slip of a burr.

          • DawnsHebog@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
              In a message dated 1/31/05 10:25:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
              jenniferanne21@... writes:

              Both my brother and sister-in-law have signet rings which I know he
              special ordered at Pennsic years ago. I'll see if he remembers from
              whom.
              Have you tried Drachenstein's(?) Treasures?
              Master Lothair is an excellent jeweller, and doesn't have a laurel for
              nothing.

            • julian wilson
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
                DawnsHebog@... wrote:

                jenniferanne21@... writes:

                Both my brother and sister-in-law have signet rings which I know he special ordered at Pennsic years ago. I'll see if he remembers from whom.
                SNIP

                Master Lothair is an excellent jeweller, and doesn't have a laurel for nothing.

                Any Master Craftsman is worth his Fee, - but the practice of any High Art comes with a commensurate cost attached.
                Over the last 2 years I have found some 30 working jewellers and engravers worldwide, who told me they would be delighted to make me replica medieval seal rings copying any picture of an extant museum-exhibit ring I might send them - but at Retail Jewellers' Prices!
                Which I could not afford.
                Those Readers who would like Seal Rings that look good, and that really work, - and will produce a seal impression showing your own SCA Arms - but who cannot afford to pay Retail Jewellery Trade prices, - contact me - and I'll put you in touch with a Craftsman who is charging me only 20% of what I was quoted [as an average cost] from members of the Retail Jewellery Trade in N. America and Western Europe.

                Yours in service,
                Julian Wilson,
                [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
                late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
                "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                [the only medieval living-history Group
                in "olde" Jersey]

              • Lisa
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 6, 2005
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
                  to California.

                  > a bit behind due to the arrival of little Michael on Jan 22

                  Congratulations! Best wishes to him and all the family!

                  Ysabel
                • Darcellena@triton.net
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 6, 2005
                    Does anyone know if there was an equivalent to the modern variety or
                    talent show during the time period that the SCA covers? Obviously, it
                    could include various bardic, singing, and theatrical performances. If
                    such a performance venue existed during our wide range of history what was
                    it called and how was it organized/conducted? I'm thinking ahead for
                    possible A & S event activities.

                    Thank you.

                    Darcellena