Re: Shoes?

  • Marc Carlson
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2005
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lady Palatina and Lady Savoury
      <ladyod@g...> wrote:
      > I am in search of shoe patterns today. Specifically, shoe patterns
      > for 16th Century Italian. Anyone know of actual examples? Or
      > better yet, someone who is in the Vancouver area that would make
      > them for me? Payment is not a problem. Finding shoes that would
      > work is a totally different story.

      Italian is one of the harder areas since I don't know of any surviving
      footwear from Italy (aside from chopines that were likely in museums
      or other collections). This is why the Roman footwear we have comes
      from outside the Italian area. I don't recall if Stepping Through
      Time has any Italian shoes or not.

      Your best bet is to take the basic post-medieval "pump" design and
      adapt it to whatever appears in the artwork (see
      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOES/redbay5.html )

      HOWEVER, since you are wanting 16th century, those will likely be
      lower class shoes from what you are probably wanting to do. Instead
      you are likely wanting to have unturned shoes, and although these are
      not any harder to make, they can be a bit harder to explain (and are
      generally much more expensive). Again, though, your best bet will be
      basic designs from outside the Italian area and adapted to whatever
      image you are trying to reproduce.

      Marc/Diarmaid
    • Elizabeth Walpole
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5, 2005

        > Good Morning to the All-Knowing Email Lists;
        >
        > I am in search of shoe patterns today. Specifically, shoe patterns
        > for 16th Century Italian. Anyone know of actual examples? Or better
        > yet, someone who is in the Vancouver area that would make them for me?
        > Payment is not a problem. Finding shoes that would work is a totally
        > different story.
        <snip>

        From the few pictures where you can see women's feet at least for the first
        half of the 16th century the most popular style of women's footwear seems to
        have been very similar to the style commonly known as 'Mary Janes' as you
        can see in this fresco
        http://homepage.mac.com/festive_attyre/research/florentine/flor21.html This
        sketch by Holbein is not quite as clear (as both her shoes and stockings are
        fairly dark) but if you look carefully you can see it's the same style with
        a more square toe http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/english.jpg
        Although I know this is not directly answering your question this gives you
        a start if you can find somebody willing to make the shoes for you.
        Elizabeth
        Elizabeth Beaumont Elizabeth Walpole
        in OR in
        Politarchopolis, Lochac Canberra, Australia
        ewalpole@...
        http://au.geocities.com/e_walpole/
      • DawnsHebog@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 6, 2005
          ewalpole@... writes:
          if you can find somebody willing to make the shoes for you
          the painting seems to be of a simple turnshoe flat with buckles.
          Would you want leather, or vibram soles?
          Hawk

        • Jonathan L Murphy
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 6, 2005
            Self aggrandising plug to follow.... I can do a shoe like that turned
            or clinch nailed with various sole and color options. Contact me off list
            if you're interested. Thanks for your indulgence.

            Jon
            jon@...
            www.armlann.com

          • mdb1771
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6, 2005
              I recently took a daytrip to Frankfurt to visit a leather museum I'd
              heard about from a friend, and I (of course) took copius amounts of
              pictures. I'll go ahead and apologize in advance for the format;
              I've been meaning to get a website of my own together for ages and
              just haven't gotten around to it. I put the images from the
              museum's 16th century Italian shoe section up on my web server for
              you though. Most of them are of chopines (384-406), but the last
              two shoes are normal everyday shoes. The pictures are in their
              original size (about 500k per) so it might take a while to view them
              all. Also, it's really hard to tell sometimes on the little LCD
              screen on my camera if the picture is fuzzy when you take it, and
              angles can sometimes be awkward when you're nose is up against the
              glass and the attendant is giving you a wary look. Eventually they
              just determine that I'm a harmless nut case and move on ;-) I tried
              to zoom in on all the relavant/interesting bits as well, so they
              might not make much sense out of order.

              http://www.screentanning.com/images/shoes/

              If you're interested in more details, contact me off list and I'll
              hunt down the museum book I purchased and scan in some more
              pictures. Right now I'm going to bed though; it's almost 1am and I
              have work tomorrow! Hope this helps some,

              Melissa :o)
            • Dan and Heather Stecher
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6, 2005
                Greetings from one Melissa to another:)

                Gentle Lady, were there any items related to children in the leather
                museum?

                Deep in research
                Melissa Kendal

              • mdb1771
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 6, 2005
                  Greetings fellow Melissa!

                  > Gentle Lady, were there any items related to children in the
                  leather
                  > museum?

                  Indeed there were some children's shoes, but only a handful for
                  the period the SCA covers. I've uploaded what they had to a folder
                  in the shoe section called children.

                  http://www.screentanning.com/images/shoes/children/

                  The last picture where the descriptor plate got caught in the glare
                  off of the glass was well into the 16th century section, but I
                  honestly can't tell you what part of the 16th century. When I get
                  back from work I'll hunt down my book and let you know some more
                  specifics. Happy researching!
                  Melissa :o)
                • Lady_Lark_Azure
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 7, 2005
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "mdb1771" <melissa@s...> wrote:

                    > I recently took a daytrip to Frankfurt to visit a leather museum
                    I'd
                    > I put the images from the
                    > museum's 16th century Italian shoe section up on my web server for
                    > you though. Most of them are of chopines (384-406), but the last
                    > two shoes are normal everyday shoes.

                    You know, people yell at me when I wear two inch heels (I'm 6'1").
                    That one set of chopines was just scary!

                    Isabeau
                  • mdb1771
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 7, 2005
                      > You know, people yell at me when I wear two inch heels (I'm
                      6'1").
                      > That one set of chopines was just scary!

                      Lol! I know! I'm infinitely impressed by the European women that
                      walk around in spike heels on these cobblestone streets; I'm just
                      not that coordinated/graceful, and those shoes have nothing on
                      chopines. I'd break something!

                      As far as the chopines go, I think I would have just stayed indoors
                      instead of trying to slosh through the flooded streets of Venice in
                      those bad boys. There's no way I'd make it to my destination
                      without falling in the water :-> But I'm seriously contemplating
                      some baby chopines for those wet squishy events that always seem to
                      turn the hem of my dress brown/black (the main reason my black
                      velvet guards are now getting extentions that take them all the way
                      to the bottom of the skirt). Three cheers for period galoshes!

                      Melissa :o)
                    • wodeford
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 7, 2005
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "mdb1771" <melissa@s...> wrote:
                        > But I'm seriously contemplating
                        > some baby chopines for those wet squishy events that always seem to
                        > turn the hem of my dress brown/black (the main reason my black
                        > velvet guards are now getting extentions that take them all the way
                        > to the bottom of the skirt). Three cheers for period galoshes!

                        My Japanese alter ego has mastered the art of walking in geta. Wearing
                        them around the house helped. ;->

                        Jehanne
                      • Elizabeth Walpole
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 10, 2005
                          > > You know, people yell at me when I wear two inch heels (I'm
                          > 6'1").
                          > > That one set of chopines was just scary!
                          >
                          > Lol! I know! I'm infinitely impressed by the European women that
                          > walk around in spike heels on these cobblestone streets; I'm just
                          > not that coordinated/graceful, and those shoes have nothing on
                          > chopines. I'd break something!
                          >
                          > As far as the chopines go, I think I would have just stayed indoors
                          > instead of trying to slosh through the flooded streets of Venice in
                          > those bad boys. There's no way I'd make it to my destination
                          > without falling in the water :-> But I'm seriously contemplating
                          > some baby chopines for those wet squishy events that always seem to
                          > turn the hem of my dress brown/black (the main reason my black
                          > velvet guards are now getting extentions that take them all the way
                          > to the bottom of the skirt). Three cheers for period galoshes!
                          >
                          > Melissa :o)

                          But the really dramatic chopines were a fashion statement not actually
                          practical for keeping your skirt out of the mud, because the skirts were cut
                          to chopine length not bare-foot length, a lot of period cultures had various
                          types of wooden shoes that lifted you up out of the mud and stopped the
                          soles of your shoes wearing out as fast (IIRC you can see a pair in the
                          background of the Arnolfi wedding portrait) but chopines took the practical
                          element of keeping your hem & shoes clean and threw it out to make a fashion
                          statement instead.
                          Elizabeth
                          Elizabeth Beaumont Elizabeth Walpole
                          in OR in
                          Politarchopolis, Lochac Canberra, Australia
                          ewalpole@...
                          http://au.geocities.com/e_walpole/
                        • dark_lady_of_the_sidhe
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 12, 2005
                            A little late in the conversation, but I ran across this as I was
                            doing research on another question for a different list:

                            http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/books/footwear.html

                            I have no idea how good the patterns are, but they do seem to have a
                            good selection of patterns and some general shoemaking manuals.

                            ~Eithni