Re: [Authentic_SCA] medieval Seal Ring replicas

  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 29, 2005
      In a message dated 1/23/2005 5:13:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<I don't have any knowledge of the frequency with which this little
      historic detail may be recreated by members of the SCA; - but I have yet to see any
      English re-enactor of armigerous Character either using or even wearing a
      medieval signet ring.>>

      I know of one person in the SCA who has one - Count Rhys of Harlech, late of
      the East Kingdom, but I understand he's moving to California.

      Brangwayna
      a bit behind due to the arrival of little Michael on Jan 22
    • Ro
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 29, 2005
        Congratulations on your new arrival! May he grow in strength and beauty and
        love all the days of his life.

        Best!

        Ro
        http://www.livejournal.com/users/ladyrowansplace/

      • kittencat3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 29, 2005
          Congratulations indeed! That's lovely news. Babies are miraculous, aren't they? :D

          And in case you're furnishing a virtual period nursery for the little one, here's what a young noble might have slept under in the 1500s....

          http://www.artisans-showcase.org/east/items/i_h_000065/index.html

          [and for the curious...yes, that's what I did on my summer vacation...]

          Sarah Davies
        • Jenn
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 29, 2005
            Sarah: that is stunning! Oh, I want one! <G> Ælfgifu
          • Dianne & Greg Stucki
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 30, 2005
              > Congratulations indeed! That's lovely news. Babies are miraculous,
              > aren't they? :D
              >

              > And in case you're furnishing a virtual period nursery for the little one,
              > here's what a young noble might have slept under in the 1500s....
              >
              > http://www.artisans-showcase.org/east/items/i_h_000065/index.html
              >
              > [and for the curious...yes, that's what I did on my summer vacation...]
              >
              > Sarah Davies

              Wow! That's just beautiful!

              Laurensa
            • Ro
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 30, 2005
                Wow, wow and again WOW! You do EXQUISITE work.

                Ro green with envy

              • kittencat3@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 30, 2005
                  Will you be at Pennsic? I teach medieval quilting...:)

                  Seriously, e-mail me privately and I'll send you some information on medieval quilting. It's not nearly as hard as it looks.

                  Sarah
                • Chris Laning
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 30, 2005
                    At 4:07 PM -0500 1/29/05, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
                    >In a message dated 1/23/2005 5:13:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    >Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:
                    >
                    ><<I don't have any knowledge of the frequency with which this little
                    >historic detail may be recreated by members of the SCA; - but I have
                    >yet to see any
                    >English re-enactor of armigerous Character either using or even wearing a
                    >medieval signet ring.>>
                    >
                    >I know of one person in the SCA who has one - Count Rhys of Harlech, late of
                    >the East Kingdom, but I understand he's moving to California.

                    I know one old-timer who has one for her 16th-century persona. She
                    did have it custom-made and it cost her quite a bundle.

                    O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
                    + Chris Laning <claning@...>
                  • Lyle H. Gray
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 30, 2005
                      On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 kittencat3@... wrote:

                      > And in case you're furnishing a virtual period nursery for
                      > the little one, here's what a young noble might have slept
                      > under in the 1500s....
                      >
                      > http://www.artisans-showcase.org/east/items/i_h_000065/index.html
                      >
                      > [and for the curious...yes, that's what I did on my summer
                      > vacation...]

                      I would have phrased that as, "That's what I did _instead of_ my
                      summer vacation."

                      But you already know my opinion of your quilting, Lady Sarah...

                      Regards,
                      Lyle FitzWilliam

                      --
                      Lyle H. Gray
                      gray@... -- text only, please
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005
                        Lyle - I did it at Pennsic, which *was* my summer vacation. And I had a very good time. :)

                        Sarah
                      • Lady_Lark_Azure
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005

                          > I know of one person in the SCA who has one - Count Rhys of
                          Harlech, late of
                          > the East Kingdom, but I understand he's moving to California.
                          >
                          > Brangwayna
                          > a bit behind due to the arrival of little Michael on Jan 22

                          Congratulations!

                          Yes, we are losing his excellency because he got a job offer in CA.
                          Hopefully he'll still make Pennsic.

                          Both my brother and sister-in-law have signet rings which I know he
                          special ordered at Pennsic years ago. I'll see if he remembers from
                          whom.

                          Isabeau
                        • julian wilson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005
                            Chris Laning <claning@...> wrote:

                            I know of one person in the SCA who has one [a replica-medieval signet ring] - Count Rhys of Harlech, late of the East Kingdom, but I understand he's moving to California.

                            I know one old-timer who has one for her 16th-century persona. She did have it custom-made and it cost her quite a bundle.

                            REPLY
                            "It cost her quite a bundle"?
                            Well, how does around US$135 per replica ring [on a batch-order of 4 such signet rings] for our Companie, sound to those of you who may be interested? 2 Armorial designs correct for my "Characters" - in pewter-gilt, delivery 3-6 weeks.
                            "One-offs", but with your own "registered Arms" reversed intaglio in the seal-matrix plate may cost a little more.
                            I supplied the replica designs to the Master Craftsman concerned, and chose the simplest contemporary style I could find from illustrations of museum exhibits?
                            He doesn't offer this item in his standard catalogue - and I have no idea how many he is prepared to make as individual "special orders".
                            Serious enquirers - who are prepared to do their own research so that the Crafter concerned doesn't have to do any - e-mail me privately, and I'll put you in contact with him.

                            Usual commercial disclaimer applies. I'm merely a delighted customer to have found someone to do this for me [a re-enactor friend, as it happens, who has the skills but doesn't normally make rings] at a price I can afford!

                            Yours in service,
                            Julian Wilson,
                            [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
                            late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
                            "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                            [the only medieval living-history Group
                            in "olde" Jersey]

                          • Ro
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005
                              Oh, please! Depending upon price, of course....

                              Thank you so much!

                              Mrs. Lynn Hunter (known on the list as Ro of Bright Hills, Atlantia)

                              http://www.livejournal.com/users/ladyrowansplace/
                              > I know of one person in the SCA who has one [a replica-medieval signet
                              ring] - Count Rhys of Harlech, late of the East Kingdom, but I understand
                              he's moving to California.

                              > I know one old-timer who has one for her 16th-century persona. She did
                              have it custom-made and it cost her quite a bundle.

                              > REPLY
                              > "It cost her quite a bundle"?
                              > Well, how does around US$135 per replica ring [on a batch-order of 4 such
                              signet rings] for our Companie, sound to those of you who may be interested?
                              2 Armorial designs correct for my "Characters" - in pewter-gilt, delivery
                              3-6 weeks.
                              > "One-offs", but with your own "registered Arms" reversed intaglio in the
                              seal-matrix plate may cost a little more.
                              > I supplied the replica designs to the Master Craftsman concerned, and
                              chose the simplest contemporary style I could find from illustrations of
                              museum exhibits?
                              > He doesn't offer this item in his standard catalogue - and I have no idea
                              how many he is prepared to make as individual "special orders".
                              > Serious enquirers - who are prepared to do their own research so that the
                              Crafter concerned doesn't have to do any - e-mail me privately, and I'll put
                              you in contact with him.

                              > Usual commercial disclaimer applies. I'm merely a delighted customer to
                              have found someone to do this for me [a re-enactor friend, as it happens,
                              who has the skills but doesn't normally make rings] at a price I can afford!

                              > Yours in service,
                              > Julian Wilson,
                              > [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of
                              Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
                              > late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
                              > "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                              > [the only medieval living-history Group
                              > in "olde" Jersey]

                            • Melissa Brown Muckart
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
                                Speaking of Medieval seals, there is a form at
                                http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/searchourcollections/future.htm

                                to quote: "Medieval Seals Online is concerned not only with seals of
                                kings, bishops, knights, monasteries and the like, but also those of
                                ordinary people (almost unknown, although in fact some four-fifths of
                                all surviving seals). This will be a new source of historical evidence -
                                for individuals, for the craftsmen and their markets, for the law, for
                                art and design, for popular taste and for much else.

                                The project will open up this little-known part of our national heritage:
                                * To everyone interested in the Middle Ages
                                * To teachers, museum curators, and anyone concerned with education
                                * To those researching the Middle Ages, especially the people and
                                families of the period

                                Medieval Seals Online will offer:
                                * An interactive introduction <snip>
                                * Images of seals available for study and research as well as for
                                exhibitions, museum displays etc. <snip>
                                * A catalogue, fully searchable under many different heads: <snip>

                                Medieval Seals Online can become a reality only if it has funding from
                                the Heritage Lottery Fund or elsewhere. The application must show that
                                it would have wide support and would be of wide use and interest."

                                So if you're interested in seeing this happen, please fill out the form
                                (available at the link above). They are not requesting money, just a
                                show of interest.

                                Thanks.

                                Catalina
                                (not affiliated with the National Archives)
                              • Jeff Gedney
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
                                  I've actually wanted to try my hand at making some of these...

                                  Are there any on-line pictures I can refer to?

                                  The only one I have seen in any detail is an archer's thumb ring/release that is also a seal, which I saw in a old book by the Archery Digest magazine and which I lost in a basement flood a couple of years back.

                                  Capt Elias
                                  -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                                  If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
                                  wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
                                  to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
                                  - Antoine de Saint Exupery
                                • Laurie Cavanaugh
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
                                    Slightly OOP, but what the heck. Go to

                                    http://www.lesenluminures.com/

                                    Click on the Rings link in the left frame. Scroll to the bottom of the window. There is a late 17th century German signet ring. For Sale. Wow.

                                    What makes the originals both cool and difficult/expensive to replicate is the hand engraving. You could fake this by carving the ring in wax and casting it, but if you really want to do the medieval thing, engrave it.

                                    Morgan Athenry
                                    jewelry dweeb with too many new skills to learn

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
                                      >Click on the Rings link in the left frame. Scroll to the bottom
                                      >of the window. There is a late 17th century German signet ring.
                                      >For Sale. Wow.

                                      Its nice...
                                      It would probably be closer to period style with a solid band.

                                      >What makes the originals both cool and difficult/expensive to
                                      >replicate is the hand engraving. You could fake this by carving
                                      >the ring in wax and casting it, but if you really want to do the
                                      >medieval thing, engrave it.

                                      Aye...
                                      Actually I was hoping to do most of the main work using lost-wax, with a little engraving for the finicky stuff, in Pewter at first, and then later if I want to get serious about it, brass or silver.

                                      If I ever wanted to do this in any kind of production, I'd pretty much have to stick to just lost-wax casting. I just don't have time to do a ton of finicky work and then risk days of work on the slip of a burr.

                                    • DawnsHebog@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
                                        In a message dated 1/31/05 10:25:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                        jenniferanne21@... writes:

                                        Both my brother and sister-in-law have signet rings which I know he
                                        special ordered at Pennsic years ago. I'll see if he remembers from
                                        whom.
                                        Have you tried Drachenstein's(?) Treasures?
                                        Master Lothair is an excellent jeweller, and doesn't have a laurel for
                                        nothing.

                                      • julian wilson
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 4, 2005
                                          DawnsHebog@... wrote:

                                          jenniferanne21@... writes:

                                          Both my brother and sister-in-law have signet rings which I know he special ordered at Pennsic years ago. I'll see if he remembers from whom.
                                          SNIP

                                          Master Lothair is an excellent jeweller, and doesn't have a laurel for nothing.

                                          Any Master Craftsman is worth his Fee, - but the practice of any High Art comes with a commensurate cost attached.
                                          Over the last 2 years I have found some 30 working jewellers and engravers worldwide, who told me they would be delighted to make me replica medieval seal rings copying any picture of an extant museum-exhibit ring I might send them - but at Retail Jewellers' Prices!
                                          Which I could not afford.
                                          Those Readers who would like Seal Rings that look good, and that really work, - and will produce a seal impression showing your own SCA Arms - but who cannot afford to pay Retail Jewellery Trade prices, - contact me - and I'll put you in touch with a Craftsman who is charging me only 20% of what I was quoted [as an average cost] from members of the Retail Jewellery Trade in N. America and Western Europe.

                                          Yours in service,
                                          Julian Wilson,
                                          [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey, 1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]
                                          late-medieval Re-enactor; & Historian and Master Artisan to
                                          "The Companie of the Duke's Leopards",
                                          [the only medieval living-history Group
                                          in "olde" Jersey]

                                        • Lisa
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 6, 2005
                                            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, bronwynmgn@a... wrote:
                                            to California.

                                            > a bit behind due to the arrival of little Michael on Jan 22

                                            Congratulations! Best wishes to him and all the family!

                                            Ysabel
                                          • Darcellena@triton.net
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 6, 2005
                                              Does anyone know if there was an equivalent to the modern variety or
                                              talent show during the time period that the SCA covers? Obviously, it
                                              could include various bardic, singing, and theatrical performances. If
                                              such a performance venue existed during our wide range of history what was
                                              it called and how was it organized/conducted? I'm thinking ahead for
                                              possible A & S event activities.

                                              Thank you.

                                              Darcellena