Authentic_SCA] over all SCA persona timing? [was: RE: glasses]

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2005
      <snip> As far as a majority of SCAdians playing late period, i can only
      > guess that it is local to you. Where i live, The West, the 15th and
      > 16th centuries are not common. The first notable clot of garb is 14th
      > century (in time for magnifying lenses - good for reading or
      > embroidering - but not myopia correction), but most appear to me to
      > attend in earlier garb. We have a significant contingent of
      > "Vikings". And many folks just wear loose comfy clothing and don't
      > really have a clear time focus, but are definitely not late
      > SCA-period.
      >
      > Anahita
      > 10th c. Andalusian persona

      From what I've observed here in Lochac we have a reasonable spread across
      the second half of period but it is rare to find somebody from before the
      10th century. So to me the popular SCA period is c900 to c1600. looking at
      it on that scale 1250 is halfway and 1450 is just past 3/4. To me 150 years
      still doesn't seem like 'very near' but near is a subjective term. As my
      persona lives in 1530 and my interests extend almost to the end of the 16th
      century my definition of close to the end of period is less than a decade.
      However in areas outside my interest I might well count 150 years as close.
      (this is the self referential definition of normal "I am normal, people who
      are different from me are abnormal" which most people do go a certain
      extent)
      Elizabeth
      Elizabeth Beaumont Elizabeth Walpole
      in OR in
      Politarchopolis, Lochac Canberra, Australia
      ewalpole@...
      http://au.geocities.com/e_walpole/