Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 2750

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2005
      At first, I wondered if rather than a punched series of holes, it was actually a representation of a chain (possibly with wide links, or perhaps that was just simpler to carve in stone).

      But I do think something is attached. I'm guessing that what we are seeing may be some sort of scabbard for a knife, which only the top of the handle is sticking out of. In fact, looking at the first, lower detail picture, I'm pretty certain of it.

      Alcyoneus

      he wears a cord-belt, below and to the left of the knot of which is
      suspended this curious object, carved in low relief on the smooth area of the
      fabric just there :

      http://www.christophersbookroom.com/cc/nazareth/bagatti/colfigs/bagatti-pl43-4.jpg

      it appears to be some sort of "heart-shaped" object, suspended from a
      wound cord smaller in diameter than the cord which serves as Peter's belt.

      to the right of it is something else which i can't quite make out:
      perhaps a thin leather(?) strap, looped in a half-hitch around the belt at the
      top and ending in a series of regularly punched holes.

      is there something suspended from it, just where the punched holes
      begin?

      what *are* these objects ??