Re: Tooth decay

  • bex_1014
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2005
      As an interesting point - one of the reasons put up for why so many
      more people these days need their wisdom teeth removed, is that the
      other adult teeth are NOT being ground down by fibrous tough food
      (and the occasional bit of grit that got though the sifters). Since
      teeth are wedge-shaped, if they are worn down a little there is more
      room for the wisdom teeth.
      "Improved" diet has also contributed to people reaching maturity
      earlier, and wisdom teeth come through sooner, while people have
      smaller jaws.
      Archaeological findings generally have few dental caries (tooth
      decay) until refined foods and sugar became a common part of the
      diet. The same situation exists in areas of the world today where
      people have very little sugar/refined food.
      Somewhere, there's a record of one of the ambassadors to Queen
      Elizabeth's court remarking on how fond the English were of sugar,
      and how bad their teeth were...
      Rebecca

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@y...>
      wrote:
      > The 'animicules' that cause decay feed on sugar. So if there is
      very little sugar in the diet, there is very little opportunity for
      them to destroy teeth. I believe that they also operate in a rather
      specific ph ranges, which is why a toothpaste containing both baking
      soda and peroxide is the best kind to use.

      > Without the sugar/animcule combination, what will affect the teeth
      most is the grit in the flours from the grinding stones.