Re: [Authentic_SCA] Seeking Spanish info

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 20, 2001
      > What? No endless hours of the Dumbekistan Drum and
      > Drum Corps?

      You got that right! Well, maybe for the "common" people. But then the
      drums would be accompanied by loud wind instruments, or voices. Rarely
      several dumbeks at one time, more likely to be frame drums. Unfortunately,
      the Dumbekistan Drum and Drum Corps (that's cute, did you make it up?) is
      what most SCAdians associate with Middle Eastern personae. :(

      > Jehanne de Wodeford is the Anglo Norman lady of a
      > Crusader knight - so I can ding on things Saracen in
      > the SCA with glee.

      hee hee. :)

      > Sorry I cannot offer much input on
      > medieval Spain, but I have a friend who might, so I'll
      > copy her on this and see if she has any suggestions.

      cool!

      el Dio vos guadre,
      Moshe

> [...]
      >> for entertainment, in al-Andalus slave girls from
      >> the Eastern Mediterranean
      >> were brought in and highly prized for their
      >> repertoire of memorized
      >> muwashshahat, or sung strophic poetry in classical
      >> Arabic. She would be
      >> sold with a list of her repertoire, and maybe an
      >> entourage of musicians;
      >> popular instruments in the 13th c. (according to
      >> al-Tifashi, 1184-1253) were
      >> the 'ud (lute), nay (flute), duff (tambourine), shiz
      >> (castanets), ruta
      >> (Spanish "rota," English "crowd," "rote;" a lyre),
      >> rabab (rebec), and buq
      >> (horn, the most characteristically Andalusian of
      >> instruments). The
      >> performance of a single muwashshah could literally
      >> take hours.
      >>
      >> A zajal (a sung poem in colloquial Arabic) by ibn
      >> Quzman (1086-1160),
      >> "Yahni-kum, Yahni-kum!," describes an Andalusian
      >> evening's entertainment.
      >> Instruments mentioned: the naqra (nakers), duff,
      >> shiz, bandayr (Moroccan
      >> snare frame drum), zamir (double reed pipe).
      >> There's a male dancer in
      >> female clothes (a flowing veil, taffeta, amulets,
      >> and a full-length tail),
      >> magic tricks by trained dogs, a heroic epic in honor
      >> of an important guest
      >> (sung to the qunbur, or long-necked lute), a staged
      >> mock-battle (to
      >> illustrate the epic?) with costumed characters and
      >> stage props, and a dance
      >> by three singing women.
      >>
      >> Ahmad ibn Muhammad al-Yamani (the Yemenite),
      >> describes a certain late night
      >> wine party in 1015: "I opened the door of my room
      >> and followed the sound
      >> until I reached the part of the house whence I could
      >> overlook the neighbors.
      >> I saw a large garden with about twenty people in the
      >> center, seated in a row
      >> with sweets, fruits, and drinks before them. The
      >> girl who was singing sat
      >> apart fromt he others, and held her listeners
      >> spellbound."
      >>
      >> An interesting aspect of Andalusian entertainment I
      >> would like to explore
      >> would be the shadow-plays. As yet I have only seen
      >> them mentioned, not
      >> adequately described. If you happen to find out
      >> more about them, please do
      >> post it to the list!
      >>
      >> For some contacts, try Duke Cariadoc
      >> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Medieval.html
      >> (many recipes)
      >> and Anahita Gauri al-Fassi
      >> http://witch.drak.net/lilinah/courtyard.html
      >> lilinah@...
      >>
      >> Hope that helps with some aspects :)
      >> Moshe ibn Yishma'el

      >> By a veiled crescent moon; a human Gazelle,
      >> surpassing other Gazelles.
      >> Oh, would that I knew whether I will win him, or
      >> gain consolation!
      >> --ibn Zuhr (12th c.)
      >

      > =====
      > When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

    • L Joseph
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 22, 2001
        --- Stephen Higa <mitsuo@...> wrote:
        > Unfortunately, the Dumbekistan Drum and Drum Corps
        > (that's cute, did you make it up?) is
        > what most SCAdians associate with Middle Eastern
        > personae. :(
        I must credit Lady Sapphira The Navigator with the
        term - she came up with it after getting little sleep
        at Pennsic due to an unending drum circle within
        hearing of our supposedly quiet area campsite.

        > > Jehanne de Wodeford is the Anglo Norman lady of a
        > > Crusader knight - so I can ding on things Saracen
        > > in the SCA with glee.
        >
        > hee hee. :)
        However, my beloved suffers from multiple persona
        disorder and his Mid Eastern persona (Naqib, Son of
        the Dessert and yes, that is Dessert as in with
        whipped cream and a maraschino cherry on top) has
        surfaced a few times and kidnapped me to drum and play
        tambourine at a hafla or two last winter. If one is
        blessed by the presence of a truly gifted drummer this
        sort of thing, in small doses, can actually be kind of
        amusing. But you didn't hear that from me! (Snicker)

        Cheers,
        Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands, EAST

        =====
        When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Mark Calderwood
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 25, 2001
          Greetings, noble cousins,

          Thank you Jehanne and especially Moshe for so much information, this will
          be very useful! I'm hoping to present a similar thing to the dinner party
          described by al-Yamani, with Moorish, Jewish and Christian guests (even
          though they would not have mingled socially very much in reality, for this
          event to be practical guests have to have some choice). Thanks also for the
          links, I have a few Andalusian cookbooks including Duke Cariadoc's, and
          will be contacting Mistress Anahita, so the food should be *very* good! I
          have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
          several poems for guests to read. I'm also making wall hangings decorated
          with Arabic calligraphy, and if I get time am going to decorate some of the
          serving dishes with Islamic calligrams and proverbs. I can get someone who
          play the oud and shawn, and I'm looking into hiring an Australian music
          group called Cantigas, who play music from medieval Spain, the crusades and
          the Middle East-but we'll have to see how the budget looks! Again, many thanks.

          Giles
        • Stephen Higa
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 28, 2001
            > I'm hoping to present a similar thing to the dinner party
            > described by al-Yamani, with Moorish, Jewish and Christian guests (even
            > though they would not have mingled socially very much in reality, for this
            > event to be practical guests have to have some choice).

            Good idea. :) Actually, there was a little more mingling than one might
            think, especially between Jews and Muslims...

            > Thanks also for the
            > links, I have a few Andalusian cookbooks including Duke Cariadoc's, and
            > will be contacting Mistress Anahita, so the food should be *very* good!

            Of course it'll be. :)

            > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
            > several poems for guests to read. I'm also making wall hangings decorated
            > with Arabic calligraphy, and if I get time am going to decorate some of the
            > serving dishes with Islamic calligrams and proverbs.

            Wow, you're going all out! Congratulations on putting together something so
            cool.

            > I can get someone who
            > play the oud and shawn, and I'm looking into hiring an Australian music
            > group called Cantigas, who play music from medieval Spain, the crusades and
            > the Middle East-but we'll have to see how the budget looks! Again, many
            thanks.

            Hey, where are you going to be putting it on? If it's near the San
            Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
            sure. :) Some muwashshahat in the re-created medieval fashion...

            Tell us how it turns out! Sounds amazing.

            Moshe
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
              > > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
              > > several poems for guests to read.
              >Wow, you're going all out! Congratulations on putting together something so
              >cool.

              Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
              new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
              Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
              think are very well worth it.

              For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
              for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
              I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
              diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
              by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
              a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
              mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
              etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
              tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
              serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
              Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
              non-period middle eastern items!

              As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
              zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
              through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
              puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
              rest of the preperations!

              >Hey, where are you going to be putting it on? If it's near the San
              >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
              >sure. :)

              It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
              eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

              Giles
            • Beth
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2001
                This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

                Ragnel

                Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to  calligraph
                > > several
                poems for guests to read.
                >Wow, you're going all out!
                Congratulations on putting together something so
                >cool.

                Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
                new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
                Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
                think are very well worth it.

                For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
                for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
                I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
                diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
                by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
                a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
                mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
                etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
                tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
                serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
                Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
                non-period middle eastern items!

                As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
                zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
                through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
                puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
                rest  of the preperations!

                >Hey,
                where are you going to be putting it on?  If it's near the San
                >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform,
                I'm
                >sure. :)

                It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
                eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

                Giles

                This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

              • Stephen Higa
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
                  > Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
                  > new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
                  > Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
                  > think are very well worth it.

                  I've never been to a themed event, and I don't recall ever hearing of any
                  where I am (in the West). However, a Maghrebi persona and I have been
                  fantasizing about some day putting up a pavillion at an event for Medieval
                  Spanish persona play, discussion of philosophy/science/theology/litereature,
                  poetry reading, etc. If we ever do that, I'll certainly ask you for advice!

                  > For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
                  > for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
                  > I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
                  > diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
                  > by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
                  > a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
                  > mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
                  > etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
                  > tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
                  > serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
                  > Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
                  > non-period middle eastern items!

                  Ahhhhh...that sounds so very cool! You've really done your research. I
                  especially love the re-created pottery!

                  > As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
                  > zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
                  > through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
                  > puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
                  > rest of the preperations!

                  [writhing with frustration over not being able to attend]

                  > It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
                  > eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

                  Umm, okay... Rats! Why do you have to live in Australia??

                  Moshe
                  Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
                  menhs en cort que de belh saber
                  de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
                  hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
                  e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

                  --Guiraut Riquier, 1292
                • Stephen Higa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 7, 2001
                    Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info aCtually, there was recently a discussion on the Medieval Spain eGroup as to the periodness (a word?) of "flamenco" dancing.  If anybody's interested, I'll forward some of the info. :)

                    ----------
                    From: "Beth" <ragnel@...>
                    To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
                    Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info
                    Date: Fri, Feb 2, 2001, 6:05 PM

                    This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

                    http://seleone.webjump.com/andalusia.htm

                    Ragnel

                    > > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to  calligraph
                    > > several poems for guests to read.
                    >Wow, you're going all out!  Congratulations on putting together something so
                    >cool.

                    Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
                    new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
                    Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
                    think are very well worth it.

                    For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
                    for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
                    I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
                    diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
                    by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
                    a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
                    mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
                    etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
                    tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
                    serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
                    Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
                    non-period middle eastern items!

                    As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
                    zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
                    through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
                    puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
                    rest  of the preperations!

                    >Hey, where are you going to be putting it on?  If it's near the San
                    >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
                    >sure. :)

                    It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
                    eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

                    Giles

                    This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    www..com