Re: Livestock

  • ketamina06
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 4, 2005
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Saerlaith ingen Ruadan"
      <barknark@p...> wrote:

      > I know the realities of pasture management and veterinary risks
      involved
      > with keeping any critter, and that it's not something you run out
      and pick
      > up on errand day.

      I wish more people realized this. I worked in the retail pet trade
      for about ten years and finally quit doing it due to frustration
      with people who bought animals for the sake of having them. It
      disgusts me to no end that so many people by a pet but don't go to
      the length of feeding it a good diet and giving it the care and
      attention, not to mention love, it needs.

      > Guess I'm back to the drawing board with earthly four-leggeds 8- )
      If I get
      > a cow, it will be a Dexter or small/mini Jersey. Maybe Nigerian
      Dwarf for
      > milking goat, and an angora for company. I don't know enough about
      sheep yet
      > to have sussed out a breed, and I'm thinking goats are more my
      style anyway.
      > I actually milked plenty of goats when I was a kid, so maybe I
      still have a
      > knack.

      I remember as a kid having a cousin who was allergic to cow's milk.
      Goat milk wasn't available except at the rare health food store in
      larger cities (we lived in a small tourist town), and since my
      cousin's doctor reccomended goat's milk as a substitute, she bought
      a nanny goat. She produced far more milk than my cousin could drink,
      so rather than have it go to waste (none of us other kids liked it,
      adults neither), she had an ad in the paper to sell it. Once locals
      picked up on it, my aunt couldn't keep up with the demand. She
      eventually bought another nanny and a billy to keep up with the milk
      demands, and because she liked goats more than she thought she ever
      would.

      It was almost like selling eggs to your neighbors, once they know
      you've got it, they would rather get it from you than a store. If
      you live in a rural or slightly rural area, you might be successful
      in passing on the fresh goodness. It's definitely something I look
      forward to doing once I land some property of my own. :)

      L. Keterlyn
    • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 7, 2005
        Municipal laws against urban chickens is one big factor in choosing my new
        home. In some places you need a 1 acre lot to keep livestock in the city
        limits, and they consider chicken the same as cattle. Ick! Seattle has a
        couple of organizations just to encourage backyard chicken keeping.

        As far as I can tell, my current (and hopefully permanent) town has rather
        common sensical laws. 50 foot setbacks for animal pen/stable/coop/hive, and
        proper fencing. Any neighbor complaints get you a visit from the law to see
        if you are keeping them properly. Much better than a blanket "No" policy.
        From what the guy at city hall told me, they don't really have a set policy
        and you pretty much just get your chickies and be polite to your neighbors
        in how you keep them.

        --Saerlaith