Re: [Authentic_SCA] Livestock

  • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 3, 2005
      Thanks for the advice. I come from a farm family, dealt with cows & goats as
      a youth on Grandpa's farm & know all about the milking requirements
      involved. The only livestock I actually bought & cared for myself were the
      chickens & pony, but I've spent the past year & a half on my own farm
      researching possible milk/fiber/meat animals.

      I know the realities of pasture management and veterinary risks involved
      with keeping any critter, and that it's not something you run out and pick
      up on errand day.

      Hence my yet further research before committing to the upkeep of another
      beastie. I was hoping someoen out there might have a secret breed of magical
      cow or goat that ate nothing but dandelions and stickers, milked itself,
      rubbed long, soft, clean hair off on convenient fenceposts for me to collect
      when I stepped out to bring in the full fresh milk pail.

      Guess I'm back to the drawing board with earthly four-leggeds 8- ) If I get
      a cow, it will be a Dexter or small/mini Jersey. Maybe Nigerian Dwarf for
      milking goat, and an angora for company. I don't know enough about sheep yet
      to have sussed out a breed, and I'm thinking goats are more my style anyway.
      I actually milked plenty of goats when I was a kid, so maybe I still have a
      knack.

      In the meantime, I'll be lucky to find more than a broke down travel trailer
      in a mudpatch with my housing budget, so I have plenty of hunting to do this
      spring 8- ))

      --Saerlaith

      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 7, 2005
        Municipal laws against urban chickens is one big factor in choosing my new
        home. In some places you need a 1 acre lot to keep livestock in the city
        limits, and they consider chicken the same as cattle. Ick! Seattle has a
        couple of organizations just to encourage backyard chicken keeping.

        As far as I can tell, my current (and hopefully permanent) town has rather
        common sensical laws. 50 foot setbacks for animal pen/stable/coop/hive, and
        proper fencing. Any neighbor complaints get you a visit from the law to see
        if you are keeping them properly. Much better than a blanket "No" policy.
        From what the guy at city hall told me, they don't really have a set policy
        and you pretty much just get your chickies and be polite to your neighbors
        in how you keep them.

        --Saerlaith