Re: [Authentic_SCA] Livestock

  • Willow Polson
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 2, 2005
      At 10:07 AM 1/2/2005 -0800, you wrote:
      >That's a great idea! I really want some kind of cow, but that's a whole
      >nother magnitude of house purchase.

      YES. Unless you can use more than a gallon of milk per day
      (conservatively), do not get a cow.

      >My livestock experience is with poultry and one pony, so trying to
      >maintain a milk animal might be a bit much.

      Unless you can devote yourself to milking the animal twice a day, every
      single day, do not get a milk animal. Also be aware of local ordinances
      regarding animals and potential odor issues.

      >I will definitely buy wool to
      >spin til I see if I like it. And I can see finding land enough for a
      >goat/sheep combo.

      Doesn't take much -- just an acre or two is fine if you pen them and give
      them feed. We don't have pasture land here (too brushy and hilly and the
      soil's too poor to support good grassland) so I primarily give them
      alfalfa, 2 big or 3 little flakes a day for the 3 animals (1 goat 2 sheep,
      none fresh at the moment). Sometimes I throw in brush trimmings, and in the
      next couple months we hope to put up a temporary electric fence so they can
      clear some brush below the house.

      >This is a really cool site for reading about rare livestock breeds -
      >http://www.albc-usa.org/about.htm

      An excellent resource, especially for info and breeders of period breeds.

      - Willow MacPherson

      Rev. Willow Polson www.willowsplace.com
      "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you,
      then they fight you, then you win." -- Mahatma Gandhi
    • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 7, 2005
        Municipal laws against urban chickens is one big factor in choosing my new
        home. In some places you need a 1 acre lot to keep livestock in the city
        limits, and they consider chicken the same as cattle. Ick! Seattle has a
        couple of organizations just to encourage backyard chicken keeping.

        As far as I can tell, my current (and hopefully permanent) town has rather
        common sensical laws. 50 foot setbacks for animal pen/stable/coop/hive, and
        proper fencing. Any neighbor complaints get you a visit from the law to see
        if you are keeping them properly. Much better than a blanket "No" policy.
        From what the guy at city hall told me, they don't really have a set policy
        and you pretty much just get your chickies and be polite to your neighbors
        in how you keep them.

        --Saerlaith