Livestock WAS Re: silk

  • Maura Folsom
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 2, 2005
      Just an FYI- get two or three animals if you get herd animals. They
      are happier in groups, and you can make up a little mixed herd. My mom
      is going to do this - a small Jersey milk cow, a sheep, a goat.

      Happier animals have lower stress levels and are easier to keep
      healthy, also, they will produce more/better by-products (wool/hair/milk).

      Marguerie
    • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 7, 2005
        Municipal laws against urban chickens is one big factor in choosing my new
        home. In some places you need a 1 acre lot to keep livestock in the city
        limits, and they consider chicken the same as cattle. Ick! Seattle has a
        couple of organizations just to encourage backyard chicken keeping.

        As far as I can tell, my current (and hopefully permanent) town has rather
        common sensical laws. 50 foot setbacks for animal pen/stable/coop/hive, and
        proper fencing. Any neighbor complaints get you a visit from the law to see
        if you are keeping them properly. Much better than a blanket "No" policy.
        From what the guy at city hall told me, they don't really have a set policy
        and you pretty much just get your chickies and be polite to your neighbors
        in how you keep them.

        --Saerlaith