barnyard friends

  • Jenn
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi, Saerlaith. I want chickens, too, but DH doesn't want them around to
      draw coyotes... [he just doesn't want them around! <G>]
      Most bang for the buck depends on what you want. Spin fiber for awhile
      & see what you like. & remember, it is much cheaper to buy fiber to
      spin than to raise animals. <G> Trust me! LOL
      I haven't tried to milk the sheep, but goats are easy. If you want
      milk, go with one of the dairy breeds. I have a Saanen. No spinnable
      fiber, but, then, I have my sheep.
      Also, get to know some goat people. Talk to them about their animals.
      They have different personalities & you want some that fit in well with you.
      Is it important to you to have a recognized breed of sheep from the
      Middle Ages? If so, you'll want to get a primitive breed OR look at the
      characteristics of the sheep in the area you're interested in & select
      that way.
      Also, do not buy single animals. Sheep & goats are flock/herd oriented
      & won't be happy alone.
      Be prepared to spend time with them every day. Show up w/ treats. <G>
      Well, that is more than anyone wanted to know. Write me off-list,
      anytime. Jennifer
      --
      Jennifer Hill Ælfgifu
      Counting Sheep Farm House Red Stag/Cynn Readheort
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 22, 2005
        Sorry if this is a bit behind the times .... ( you'd think that having time off work over Christmas / New Year would mean that I'd have more time to keep up with the email, wouldn't you? Unfortunately for me, it didn't ...... )

        If the problem with coyotes getting the chickens is anything like the problems my relatives on farms have with foxes, the answer is to round up the chickens at dusk/nightfall and shut them into a secure pen or hutch. Chickens are creatures of habit and usually go to roost in the same places at night, so they don't normally take much persuading to go to bed. ( You may actually find that when you go to round them up, they're already up on their perches and all you have to do is shut the gate! ) They also like to roost off the ground, so that if any marauding predators get into the chook-pen, the only chooks that they'll get ( unfortunately ) wil be the ones who may be sitting on a nest that is accessible from the ground.

        But, yes, I can see that just having chooks could draw coyotes to the property, which might be a problem if you have other vulnerable livestock or animals. Or small children, although I don't think I've ever heard of coyotes going after children that are big enough to toddle - or children fullstop - but I could be wrong. ( No coyotes in Australia, just foxes, and dingoes, which are bigger than both foxes and coyotes and quite capable of attacking and killing creatures larger than themselves. )

        My two cents worth,
        Joannah