Children 600AD - 1650AD

  • iamsiegfried
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2004
      Greetings Noble Lords and Ladies,

      I am looking for primary sources on the lives of children
      600AD-1650AD. Although I have most of the major sources, I am always
      looking for more, particularly appropriste items housed in museums.
      If you have such sources, please do not hesitate to pass them on.

      With gratitude,
      Melissa Kendal
    • Marion McNealy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2005
        Do you have these two books?

        Flesh and Spirit: private life in early modern Germany, by Steven Ozment
        Has several chapters on this subject, dealing with children from specific families, from birth to young adulthood.

        Magdalena and Balthasar: an intimate portrait of life in 16th century Europe revealed in the letters of a Nuremberg husband and wife, by Steven Ozement.

        While this is mainly about M and B, it also covers their attitudes toward parenting their son and how they dealt with his death at a young age. Its a great book that gives you a detailed glimpse into a period marriage through the subjects own letters.

        -Marion
        www.curiousfrau.com

        iamsiegfried <gusgus@...> wrote:

        Greetings Noble Lords and Ladies,

        I am looking for primary sources on the lives of children
        600AD-1650AD. Although I have most of the major sources, I am always
        looking for more, particularly appropriste items housed in museums.
        If you have such sources, please do not hesitate to pass them on.

        With gratitude,
        Melissa Kendal

      • elara_drake
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2005
          I know I'm rather late replying, but I'm catching up on the last 4
          weeks of skipped list reading. :) My husband jsut got a book for
          Christmas that will probably interest you. It's "Medieval Children"
          By Nicholas Orme, Yale University Press, ISBN: 0-300-09754-9.

          Regards, WhiteRaven