silk

  • Jenn
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 31, 2004
      I plan to spin & weave my way thru 2005. I don't plan to spin silk, but
      would like to weave ONE glorious court gown in silk twill. Given the
      Rus Viking trade routes between Byzantium & Jorvik [& elsewhere, of
      course], I had thought about doing a figured silk.
      I am just tossing the idea about in my head - always a dangerous
      procedure. Other projects have precedence, including a new goat
      pack-saddle blanket.. sigh. Were goats packed during the Viking Age?
      I have plans to grow a patch of flax next summer. I have the seed in
      hand & a good place to grow it, I think.
      & I'd love to have a patch of hemp for spinning, but I think this is
      still illegal in the States.
      I have 2 sheep, as well, a Cotswold ewe & a Wensleydale X Cotswold. I'm
      looking forward to spinning them up. [Do you think the sheep would
      mind? <G>]
      Wishing all a Happy New Year. Ælfgifu
      --
      Jennifer Hill Ælfgifu
      Counting Sheep Farm House Red Stag/Cynn Readheort
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 7, 2005
        Municipal laws against urban chickens is one big factor in choosing my new
        home. In some places you need a 1 acre lot to keep livestock in the city
        limits, and they consider chicken the same as cattle. Ick! Seattle has a
        couple of organizations just to encourage backyard chicken keeping.

        As far as I can tell, my current (and hopefully permanent) town has rather
        common sensical laws. 50 foot setbacks for animal pen/stable/coop/hive, and
        proper fencing. Any neighbor complaints get you a visit from the law to see
        if you are keeping them properly. Much better than a blanket "No" policy.
        From what the guy at city hall told me, they don't really have a set policy
        and you pretty much just get your chickies and be polite to your neighbors
        in how you keep them.

        --Saerlaith