Gifts?

  • glaukopisathene
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 28, 2004
      Always an interesting topic for discussion...did anyone get any
      truly exceptional (and SCA-related, naturally) holiday presents this
      year? My dad gave me Maestro Martino da Como's fifteenth-century
      cookery book (best known, perhaps, because Platina used it as a sort
      of blueprint for his own gastronomic treatise), in a beautiful,
      brand-new edition from UC Press. It doesn't contain the original
      Italian text, alas, but the translation is very good, and
      well-annotated, so scholar in me is satisfied as well as the
      gourmande. :-)

      Anyone else get or give anything fabulous? Books, textiles, crafts...?

      Vittoria
    • kittencat3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 28, 2004
        A roving of absolutely gorgeous wool, in hopes of bribing me into becoming a competent spinner. The colors aren't all that authentic but the wool is glorious. :)

        Sarah Davise
      • Marion McNealy
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 28, 2004
          "Did anyone get any truly exceptional (and SCA-related, naturally) holiday presents this year? "

          Does this include presents we purchased for ourselves? ;)

          My Grandma gave me a nice gold filled chain and the fittings for a pearl drop pendant that will make a nice necklace circa 1530's Southern Germany. I got some nice coral beads and vermeil beads for an extravagant paternoster for myself (I was a very good girl this year!)

          -Marion

          www.curiousfrau.com

        • Jeff Gedney
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 28, 2004
            >"Did anyone get any truly exceptional (and SCA-related, naturally) holiday presents this year? "

            Books!
            Not strictly period, but in line with some of my pet research topics:

            "Seamanship in the Age of Sail: An Account of the Shiphandling of the Sailing Man-Of-War 1600-1860, Based on Contemporary Sources" by John Harland

            "The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War, 1625-1860" by James Lees

            "Mill : The History and Future of Naturally Powered Buildings" by David Larkin, Paul Rocheleau (Photographer)

            Capt Elias
            -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

            If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
            wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
            to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
            - Antoine de Saint Exupery
          • Ro
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 28, 2004
              OMG - I got Life and Leisure in the Middle Ages - The Devonshire Tapestries.
              Now I want to make a heart shaped hennin and a houppelande...

              AND my Lord Husband The Crusader got me a reproduction Savonarola chair for
              eventing. I shall be soooooooooooooo spiff.

              Look on me, Atlantia, and envy....<snerk>

              Ro

              Argent, a Rowan Tree eradicated and in chief a Label Purpure
            • Bre'nain / Noble
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 28, 2004
                I did get an absolutely fabulous book, from Amazon. I have not seen it anywhere before. It is: Life on a Mediaeval Barony, by William Stearns Davis, Ph.D. ISBN 0-8196-2061-0, SKU 978081962613, published by Biblo and Tannen. The subject is a picture of a typical feudal community in the 13th century. Specifically the premise is based in northern France in the year 1222. A very complete picture with many illustrations. It shows the life in a typical small barony almost anywhere in western Europe at the time. Don't miss it. Bre'nain

                When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.
                [Desiderius Erasmus, Dutch Humanist and Theologian (1524-1583)]

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 28, 2004
                  --- glaukopisathene <phoenissa@...> wrote:

                  > Always an interesting topic for discussion...did
                  > anyone get any
                  > truly exceptional (and SCA-related, naturally)
                  > holiday presents this
                  > year?

                  I received some lovely glass rod that will be turned
                  into beads based on 7-9 cent. finds.

                  Godric Of Castlemont

                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
                • Lyle H. Gray
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 28, 2004
                    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, glaukopisathene wrote:

                    > Anyone else get or give anything fabulous? Books, textiles,
                    > crafts...?

                    My very own copy of J. A. Szirmai's "Archaeology of Medieval
                    Bookbinding".

                    Paper made by a company that's been manufacturing paper for
                    several centuries.

                    Lyle

                    --
                    Lyle H. Gray
                    gray@... -- text only, please
                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 28, 2004
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "glaukopisathene"
                      <phoenissa@n...> wrote:

                      > Always an interesting topic for discussion...did anyone get any
                      > truly exceptional (and SCA-related, naturally) holiday presents
                      this
                      > year?

                      I requested (and got!) a thorough book on sundials, from which it
                      should be possible to backfill and make one using period
                      construction techniques.
                      Geometry is our friend.

                      Deroch
                    • Terri Morgan
                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 28, 2004
                        "Did anyone get any truly exceptional (and SCA-related, naturally) holiday
                        presents this year? "

                        "Pattern and Purpose in Insular Art: Proceedings of the Fourth International
                        Conference on Insular Art Held at the National Museum & Gallery, Cardiff 3-6
                        September 1998"

                        and

                        "Woven into the Earth" by Else Ostergard

                        Hooeeey! Two books on sewing/embroidery (well, "Patterns" had more than just
                        that in it, although I'm still reading "Woven into the Earth" right now).
                        I'm learning so much about edge finishing that I didn't know before - and
                        I'm getting ready to make a G-63 for a friend so the gift came at just the
                        right time!

                        Hrothny
                        (It was a "Lego Christmas" - not for giving/receiving, but for putting
                        together all my castle kits that had been jumbled into one mass of blocks.
                        16 kits completed over three marathon nights of laughing, sorting, and
                        singing along to my son and his SO's favourite lounge-lizard music. Kermit
                        voices go well with Frank Sinatra, although the Swedish Chef is better with
                        the ladies... I had to take a break. I'm still not done. Totally non-SCA,
                        but fun, if a little tedious at present. I want my table back!
                      • giraude@wedcraft.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 29, 2004
                          My sister, who is fascinated with my exploits in the SCA, got me a
                          copy of "Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlock'd" by Janet Arnold. I was
                          stunned, because this is a hugely expensive book!

                          Also got some beautiful hand-spun wool from a friend of mine...if it
                          weren't red, I'd use it to weave a belt! (I don't knit, so I'm not
                          sure what else to do with it other than do some card weaving.)

                          My lord husband gifted me with a beautiful sideless surcote...can't
                          wait for the next event we attend so I can wear it! (Now I just need
                          to figure out how to do my hair so that everything looks right....)

                          Everything else I received (books, DVDs, CDs) was also in some way or
                          another related to my interest in the Middle Ages, too, so all in all
                          it was a very cool Yule! :)

                          Giraude
                        • wodeford
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 29, 2004
                            <phoenissa@n...> wrote:
                            > Anyone else get or give anything fabulous?

                            Hey, sweetie! How's grad school treating you?

                            Santa did NOT grant my wish and make my nose stop running, however,
                            I did get Maryland crab cakes packed in dry ice, cash (currently
                            socked away in the rainy day fund), an extension on my temp
                            assignment through this week, a late night phone call from my pal
                            Fujimaki on Christmas, a bargain on silk suiting from Phoenix
                            Textiles (should turn up next week), and a brass quartet joining the
                            organist at Mass to play a Praetorius arrangement of "In Dulce
                            Jubilo."

                            I managed to assure my continuing ascendancy as "the cool aunt."
                            Word has it the Playmobil viking longship was a huge hit with my
                            five year old nephew. ;->

                            Jehanne de Wodeford, West
                          • ladymorwenna
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 29, 2004
                              > ...did anyone get any
                              > truly exceptional (and SCA-related, naturally) holiday presents this
                              > year?

                              Not anything truly exceptional this year, but a couple books of note.

                              Yevsha gave me _The Counter-Armada 1596: The Journall of the `Mary Rose'_

                              My sister got me _The Oldest Cuisine in the World: Cooking in Mesopotamia_

                              I gave Yevsha _Improvisation in the Arts of the Middle Ages and
                              Renaissance_.

                              --Morwenna
                            • Jeff Gedney
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 29, 2004
                                >Yevsha gave me _The Counter-Armada 1596: The Journall of the `Mary Rose'_

                                OOH! OOH!
                                More details, PLEASE

                                Capt Elias
                                -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                                If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
                                wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them
                                to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
                                - Antoine de Saint Exupery
                              • Kareina Talvi Tytär
                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 29, 2004
                                  At 12:18 AM 12/29/04, Vittoria wrote:

                                  >Anyone else get or give anything fabulous? Books, textiles, crafts...?

                                  Like some others who have posted, I also got _Woven into the Earth_ and in
                                  my first quick glance through it I am particularly fascinated by the
                                  technique of singling (at least figs 3 & 4 pg. 157, but there is probably
                                  more info elsewhere in the book as well) as a way to prevent threads from
                                  unraveling and reinforcing an edge. I'd not seen that technique before,
                                  and am looking forward to playing with it and reading the book in detail to
                                  see what other new things I will find!

                                  I made my sweeite a new linen tunic and a pair of trousers, but didn't
                                  quite finish the set of mini wax tablets for him. Perhaps by 12th night...

                                  --Kareina

                                • ladymorwenna
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 29, 2004
                                    > >Yevsha gave me _The Counter-Armada 1596: The Journall of the `Mary
                                    Rose'_

                                    > OOH! OOH!
                                    > More details, PLEASE
                                    >
                                    > Capt Elias
                                    > -Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

                                    Usherwood, Stephen & Elizabeth. _The Counter-Armada 1596: The Journall
                                    of the `Mary Rose'_. London: The Bodley Head Ltd, 1983.

                                    A journal of the English and Dutch attack on Cadiz from an unknown
                                    person on an unknown ship was found in the library of the Archbishop
                                    of Canterbury. More recent scholarship showed it to have been written
                                    by Sir George Carew, the Queen's Master of Ordinance and commander of
                                    the Mary Rose (not the one that sank, although that was commanded by
                                    his relative and namesake, also Sir George Carew).

                                    It's a very significant document since there was an "official" version
                                    of what happened and other writers, like Raleigh or Hakluyt, were
                                    writing well after the fact. The book contains the full journal as
                                    well as the history of the events.

                                    --Morwenna
                                  • Jeff Gedney
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 29, 2004
                                      >Usherwood, Stephen & Elizabeth. _The Counter-Armada 1596: The Journall
                                      >of the `Mary Rose'_. London: The Bodley Head Ltd, 1983.
                                      >
                                      >A journal of the English and Dutch attack on Cadiz from an unknown
                                      >person on an unknown ship was found in the library of the Archbishop
                                      >of Canterbury. More recent scholarship showed it to have been written
                                      >by Sir George Carew, the Queen's Master of Ordinance and commander of
                                      >the Mary Rose (not the one that sank, although that was commanded by
                                      >his relative and namesake, also Sir George Carew).
                                      >
                                      >It's a very significant document since there was an "official" version
                                      >of what happened and other writers, like Raleigh or Hakluyt, were
                                      >writing well after the fact. The book contains the full journal as
                                      >well as the history of the events.
                                      >
                                      >--Morwenna

                                      Oh... DIP!!

                                      I have GOT to get one!!
                                      Thanks!

                                    • Darcellena@triton.net
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 29, 2004
                                        Does anyone recall seeing evidence for using stitching in a contrasting
                                        color or metal thread for essentially "sealing"/binding the exposed edges
                                        of the fabric which form the individual slashes? I'm first thinking of
                                        mid to late 1500s Italian then other places in general.

                                        Also, what about using pearls and/or other stones on Italian sleeves and
                                        dresses of this period, perhaps in addition to the puff and slash with or
                                        without the contrasting color thread around the edges of the slashes? Or
                                        does this seem to have been pretty much exclusively an English fashion?

                                        I can't immediately recall seeing any pictorial evidence for using
                                        contrasting color or metal thread in this way. My copy of QE Wardrobe
                                        Unlockd is presently in the car.

                                        I was thinking of making myself an alternate pair of removable sleeves for
                                        one of my Italian gowns of this period for 12th Night on Jan. 8th.

                                        Thanks.

                                        Darcellena
                                      • Mary Taran
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 29, 2004
                                          At 07:39 PM 12/29/2004, you wrote:

                                          >Does anyone recall seeing evidence for using stitching in a contrasting
                                          >color or metal thread for essentially "sealing"/binding the exposed edges
                                          >of the fabric which form the individual slashes? I'm first thinking of
                                          >mid to late 1500s Italian then other places in general.
                                          >
                                          >Also, what about using pearls and/or other stones on Italian sleeves and
                                          >dresses of this period, perhaps in addition to the puff and slash with or
                                          >without the contrasting color thread around the edges of the slashes? Or
                                          >does this seem to have been pretty much exclusively an English fashion?
                                          >
                                          >I can't immediately recall seeing any pictorial evidence for using
                                          >contrasting color or metal thread in this way. My copy of QE Wardrobe
                                          >Unlockd is presently in the car.
                                          >
                                          >I was thinking of making myself an alternate pair of removable sleeves for
                                          >one of my Italian gowns of this period for 12th Night on Jan. 8th.
                                          >
                                          >Thanks.
                                          >
                                          >Darcellena

                                          The anti-ravel techniques I've seen are thus:

                                          1. Use fulled wool and don't worry about ravelling--it won't.
                                          2. Use a tightly woven silk and don't worry about ravelling--it won't.
                                          3. Cut your slashes on the bias--ravelling will be minimal if any.
                                          4. Use of an animal hide glue (such as rabbit-skin glue) along the
                                          slashes. A modern equivalent would be Fray-Check!

                                          Any edging techniques you might see are most likely decorative.

                                          Mary Taran

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
                                            Which book on sundials? Details please.
                                            Cheers
                                            John of the Hills

                                            At 05:10 AM 29/12/04 +0000, you wrote:

                                            >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "glaukopisathene"
                                            ><phoenissa@n...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Always an interesting topic for discussion...did anyone get any
                                            > > truly exceptional (and SCA-related, naturally) holiday presents
                                            >this
                                            > > year?
                                            >
                                            >I requested (and got!) a thorough book on sundials, from which it
                                            >should be possible to backfill and make one using period
                                            >construction techniques.
                                            >Geometry is our friend.
                                            >
                                            >Deroch

                                          • sue_clemenger
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
                                              Books! I got books!
                                              My friend, Mst. Annys gave me two cookbooks--a copy of Two Fifteenth
                                              Century Cookery Books, and Markham's _English Housewife_.
                                              And I got for myself two more books (on order through Amazon)...the
                                              English version of _Woven Into The Earth_, and the new edition of Gale
                                              Owen-Crocker's book on Dress in Anglo-Saxon Clothing.
                                              --maire

                                              <phoenissa@n...> wrote:

                                              > Always an interesting topic for discussion...did anyone get any
                                              > truly exceptional (and SCA-related, naturally) holiday presents this
                                              > year?
                                            • Jenn
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 1, 2005
                                                > the
                                                >> English version of _Woven Into The Earth_, and the new edition of Gale
                                                >> Owen-Crocker's book on Dress in Anglo-Saxon Clothing.
                                                >> --maire

                                                Oh, Oh. I am utterly green [a lovely green, of course]! I really want
                                                Owen-Crocker.
                                                Tell me more about Woven into The Earth, please! Ælfgifu
                                              • sue_clemenger
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 3, 2005
                                                  I'd be glad to, but they're not living with me yet, and won't be until
                                                  mid-month at the earliest. *sigh*
                                                  I'll share when they do arrive, though!
                                                  --maire

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jan 4, 2005
                                                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, John Stewart <jtstewart@o...>
                                                    wrote:

                                                    > Which book on sundials? Details please.
                                                    > Cheers
                                                    > John of the Hills

                                                    Rohr - *Sundials - history, theory and practice*
                                                    It's a Dover reprint. I like it for the spherical trig, though it's
                                                    lacking much early-period info.

                                                    Deroch