Gilbert of Hoyland

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2004
      http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.abbayes.net/histoire/saints/a_g/gilbert_d_h.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3DGilbert%2Bof%2BHoyland%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

      Happy Gilbert de Hoyland

      Gilbert de Hoyland was, about 1150, abbot of Swineshead, in the county of Lincoln, in England. This abbey, was a foundation of Furness, congregation of Savigny. The congregation was attached to the order of C�teaux, in the filiation of Clairvaux, in 1147.
      The name of Hoyland, that Gilbert carried, comes from that of the founder of the abbey, Robert de Hoyland. Swineshead meaning "head of pig", not being a name for an abbot...
      Gilbert was close by the friendship as long as by the distance, of Aelred de Rievaulx, and both had a great veneration for Saint Bernard.
      There continued the comment of the Song of Songs, started with Saint Bernard and remained unfinished by the death of this one. Gilbert never judged himself worthy to comment on a text of the Canticle again that Bernard had explained. He thus began again, starting from the beginning of chapter 3 of the Song of Songs, and continued until chapter 5, verse 10. These sermons were pronounced in the chapter of Swineshead, except some of them, which were given to moniales, like sermons 16 to 18. One finds in these sermons a very clear influence of the thought and style of Bernard and Aelred. The sermons of Gilbert are hardly lower for the flame, rise and the persuasive force, with those of Bernard.
      About 1167, Gilbert resigned and withdrew himself in an abbey of France, probably with the abbey of Arrivour, in the diocese of Troyes, not far from Clairvaux. It is there that he died on May 25, 1172.
      Aelred repeated of him a beautiful praise in its sermons "Of oneribus", where it speaks about the "saint and very worthy P�re Gilbert".
      Gilbert belongs to what is called cistercians sometimes the "second generation" of the spiritual authors, with Am�d�e of Lausanne , Baudouin of Ford and Isaac of Star .

      http://www.spencerabbey.org/cistpub/catalogue/in_detail/books/cf%20series/gilbert4_cf34.html

      http://www.spencerabbey.org/cistpub/catalogue/in_detail/books/cf%20series/gilbert_song_3vol.html

      Alcyoneus

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:49:51 -0000
      From: "Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton"
      Subject: Re: more on breastbinding

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
      wrote:
      > Who (and more particularly when) was Gilbert of Hoyt?
      > In "Sermones in Canticum Solomonis", he writes:

      Gilbert of Hoyland, d 1172 was writing sermons about breasts, I wonder
      if this is the same person. Certainly breast binding as a fashion
      seems to be a phenomenon of this period (due to closer fitting
      clothing for nobles).

      The sermons you speak of, did you find an online copy? Or a
      particularly well written modern translation?

      Teffania

    • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2004
        --- Park McKellop <squire009@...> wrote:

        > Happy Gilbert de Hoyland

        Thank you. It appears the least unnecessary
        multiplication of entities would require us to
        consider Hoyt a variant of Hoyland.

        Gwervyl/Andrea

        (Of course, period thought would conflate two or more
        people of the same name whether they were the same or
        not. The scriptural Marys, come to mind, the
        Constantines and Helens of early British history....)

        http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com