Re: [Authentic_SCA] fur

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
      At 4:29 AM -0500 12/7/04, Chrissy Leis wrote:
      >how on earth do you sew fur (i've played with fake fur) and keeping the
      >hairs from being caught in the seam? I'm thinking about doing some edging
      >with fur..... but.... I dont know where to start looking for any. places to
      >buy, ect.

      There are several possible methods. The one I've generally seen in
      manuals is to use a safety razor to "shave" your seam allowance but
      this is very messy. Me, I just sew very slowly and stroke the hairs
      away from the cut edge with a finger between the layers for an inch
      or so at a time. Then if I miss anything, I carefully pick it out of
      the seam from the right side using a needle.

      One strong recommendation: sew your fur to some sort of fabric
      backing or edging and then sew that to your main garment. This way
      if you have to remove the edging for some reason, you aren't unsewing
      and resewing the fur itself (which damages and weakens it).

      Tangwystyl
      (exceedingly fond of recycling old fur coats)
      --
      ****
      Heather Rose Jones