fur

  • Chrissy Leis
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
      how on earth do you sew fur (i've played with fake fur) and keeping the
      hairs from being caught in the seam? I'm thinking about doing some edging
      with fur..... but.... I dont know where to start looking for any. places to
      buy, ect.
      ingunn halldoorsdottir
    • Lady_Lark_Azure
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Chrissy Leis" <chrissy@a...>
        wrote:
        > how on earth do you sew fur (i've played with fake fur) and keeping
        the
        > hairs from being caught in the seam?

        Fluff the fur up and take your scissors at a 45 degree angle and trim
        your seam allowance. It will make things much easier.

        Isabeau
      • Heather Rose Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2004
          At 4:29 AM -0500 12/7/04, Chrissy Leis wrote:
          >how on earth do you sew fur (i've played with fake fur) and keeping the
          >hairs from being caught in the seam? I'm thinking about doing some edging
          >with fur..... but.... I dont know where to start looking for any. places to
          >buy, ect.

          There are several possible methods. The one I've generally seen in
          manuals is to use a safety razor to "shave" your seam allowance but
          this is very messy. Me, I just sew very slowly and stroke the hairs
          away from the cut edge with a finger between the layers for an inch
          or so at a time. Then if I miss anything, I carefully pick it out of
          the seam from the right side using a needle.

          One strong recommendation: sew your fur to some sort of fabric
          backing or edging and then sew that to your main garment. This way
          if you have to remove the edging for some reason, you aren't unsewing
          and resewing the fur itself (which damages and weakens it).

          Tangwystyl
          (exceedingly fond of recycling old fur coats)
          --
          ****
          Heather Rose Jones