Re: Looking for supporting images

  • valkyr8@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, lilinah@e... wrote:
      > WhiteRaven wrote:

      > The rosey houppelande on the left appears to me to have the front
      > pulled up and tucked into the belt and the center front is pulled
      up
      > the most.
      >
      > It does not look as if the front is abbreviated and nor does it
      > appear that the center front is either split or completely open.
      >
      > And the orangey one next to it looks as if it is being worn the
      same way.

      > Anahita

      This was my impression as well when examining the image. You might
      do well finding more examples if you went to the scribal community.
      Someone there may have seen other examples of a houppeland depicted
      this way.

      Giovanna (Northshield)
    • Guenievre de Monmarche
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
        > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, lilinah@e... wrote:
        > > WhiteRaven wrote:
        >
        > > The rosey houppelande on the left appears to me to have the front
        > > pulled up and tucked into the belt and the center front is pulled
        > up
        > > the most.
        > >
        > > It does not look as if the front is abbreviated and nor does it
        > > appear that the center front is either split or completely open.
        > >
        > > And the orangey one next to it looks as if it is being worn the
        > same way.
        > >
        > > Anahita
        >
        > This was my impression as well when examining the image. You might
        > do well finding more examples if you went to the scribal community.
        > Someone there may have seen other examples of a houppeland depicted
        > this way.
        >
        > Giovanna (Northshield)

        I've seen a few houppes that appear to have an opening all the way down
        center front, but not worn opened. A good example of this would be this one
        - http://pics.livejournal.com/generys/pic/0000558z. It's from folio 127 of
        manuscript 598 at the Bibliotheque National de France. I *think* it's
        something by Boccacio, but when I scanned it I just noted folio and
        manuscript #'s.

        Guenievre