Announcing Paternoster-Row.org

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2004
      I finally have the beginnings of my website up (just one page so far,
      many more to come).

      O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O

      From at least as early as A.D. 1000, rosaries, paternosters or
      similar strings of prayer beads have been a common accessory carried
      by men and women, old and young. Indeed, the small round objects we
      know in English as beads were named from this practice; the root of
      the English word _bead_ is the same as for the word _bid_, and
      originally meant "to pray or request."

      Paternoster-Row <http://paternoster-row.org> is a website about the
      history of medieval rosary beads, paternosters, and prayer beads,
      with illustrations, replicas, and bibliography. Abundant references
      to existing paintings, surviving medieval beads, and source documents
      help the careful researcher tell what is known and what is legendary
      or mythical. Discussions illuminate many of the different types of
      beads and rosaries popular in the Middle Ages and Renaissance.
      Replicas of historical rosaries in authentic materials show what the
      originals may have looked like when new, and descriptions of how
      these were made may inspire you to make your own.

      New every week, the Paternosters Blog
      <http://paternosters.blogspot.com>, linked from the Paternoster-row
      webpage, has observations on historical rosaries, paternosters and
      other forms of prayer beads, focusing on those in use before 1600AD,
      but including comments on modern trends as well. Recent short
      articles include "Ring around the rosary" (history of rosary rings),
      "News of the Weird" (some modern rosaries of odd materials), "Up
      against the wall" (large rosaries as wall ornaments), "Counting to
      ten" (the Renaissance men's short rosary or "tenner"), "String, or
      nothing" (the materials medieval rosaries were strung on), and
      "Rosaries for Ren Faire" (on finding appropriate rosaries for
      16th-century Renaissance characters). Comments are welcome!

      O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O-oooooooooo-O

      O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads
      + Chris Laning <claning@...>