Re: Costuming question

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2004
      Kareina,
      Could you be a bit more specific about the information the producers
      already have, and have shared with you, concerning clothing of the
      three cultures/subjects you've listed below, so the list doesn't
      duplicate time, bandwidth, effort, and or frustration, telling you
      things you already know? :-)

      Yseult

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kareina Talvi Tytär
      <<<snipped>>>>

      > Hello,
      >
      > I've been asked to help out with the costuming for a documentary.
      Alas,
      > the filming is next weekend! Nothing like plenty of warning. ;-)
      I'm told
      > that the subject of the film is:
      >
      > >300 BC
      > >Asia Minor
      > >Galatian Celts in Turkey
      > >La Tene culture

      <<<snipped>>>

      > I've been given a bit of information on what the producers have
      found in
      > terms of clothing for there/then. However, if anyone happens to
      have more
      > information that would help with costuming that is quickly
      accessible, I
      > would appreciate it!
      >
      > --Kareina

    • Heather Rose Jones
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2004
        At 9:21 AM -0800 12/5/04, Kareina Talvi Tyt”r wrote:

        >I've been asked to help out with the costuming for a documentary. Alas,
        >the filming is next weekend! Nothing like plenty of warning. ;-) I'm told
        >that the subject of the film is:
        >
        >>300 BC
        >>Asia Minor
        >>Galatian Celts in Turkey
        >>La Tene culture
        >>
        >>They have lived a long time amoung the Greeks and so are fairly Helenized
        >>but likely have kept much of their own Celtic heritage as well. They had
        >>their own craftspeople and families travelling with them into Turkey when
        >>they migrated there.
        >
        >I've been given a bit of information on what the producers have found in
        >terms of clothing for there/then. However, if anyone happens to have more
        >information that would help with costuming that is quickly accessible, I
        >would appreciate it!

        I did a couple of brief summary essays on Celtic
        clothing (split roughly into Hallstadt and La
        Tene) in response to a question on H-Costume.
        They don't really cover the Galatians
        specifically, but might be useful. I've put them
        in the files section in a folder titled
        "Tangwysty's files" since they're rather long
        (and doubtless others will be interested). These
        are rather quick-and-dirty and are more intended
        as a starting point for research than as a
        complete source in themselves.

        Quite frankly, if they're filming next weekend,
        then unless they have a large budget and staff
        who do nothing else in the next week (and start
        with a certain familiarity with the historic
        context) then I'm not sure how much help _any_
        information is going to be.

        Tangwystyl
        --
        ****
        Heather Rose Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2004
          Sorry for not including more of that sort of information--I'd gotten the
          e-mail asking for help in the morning as I was tidying up before an
          all-peers meeting for the Principality (Tir Righ in An Tir) and didn't have
          time to look at the files he'd attached and knew that if I didn't ask just
          then then I wouldn't get another chance to ask at all. (that hurry is also
          why I didn't remember to go back and add a subject line--my apologies to
          whichever moderator had to add one for me). I've forwarded Tangwystyl's
          (thank you!!!!) answer to the person who asked me for help, hopefully that
          will be useful information for them. I'm on digest mode, so I won't know
          till later if anyone else replied (yes, I *could* log onto Yahoo to check,
          but frankly, haven't the time/energy while trying to finalize visas and
          shipping and stuff for my move back to Lochac)

          --Kareina de la life isn't normally this hectic for me!

          At 12:59 AM 12/6/04, Yseult wrote:

          >Kareina,
          >Could you be a bit more specific about the information the producers
          >already have, and have shared with you, concerning clothing of the
          >three cultures/subjects you've listed below, so the list doesn't
          >duplicate time, bandwidth, effort, and or frustration, telling you
          >things you already know? :-)

        • Melissa Brown Muckart
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2004
            You're coming back to Lochac?! Yeah! When can we expect to see you here?

            *bounce*

            Catalina