Costuming question

  • Kareina Talvi Tyt�r
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2004
      MODERATOR'S NOTE: Please be sure to include a subject line so your messages don't get treated like spam.

      Thank you.!

      Hello,

      I've been asked to help out with the costuming for a documentary. Alas,
      the filming is next weekend! Nothing like plenty of warning. ;-) I'm told
      that the subject of the film is:

      >300 BC
      >Asia Minor
      >Galatian Celts in Turkey
      >La Tene culture
      >
      >They have lived a long time amoung the Greeks and so are fairly Helenized
      >but likely have kept much of their own Celtic heritage as well. They had
      >their own craftspeople and families travelling with them into Turkey when
      >they migrated there.

      I've been given a bit of information on what the producers have found in
      terms of clothing for there/then. However, if anyone happens to have more
      information that would help with costuming that is quickly accessible, I
      would appreciate it!

      --Kareina

    • borderlands15213
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 5, 2004
        Kareina,
        Could you be a bit more specific about the information the producers
        already have, and have shared with you, concerning clothing of the
        three cultures/subjects you've listed below, so the list doesn't
        duplicate time, bandwidth, effort, and or frustration, telling you
        things you already know? :-)

        Yseult

        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kareina Talvi Tytär
        <<<snipped>>>>

        > Hello,
        >
        > I've been asked to help out with the costuming for a documentary.
        Alas,
        > the filming is next weekend! Nothing like plenty of warning. ;-)
        I'm told
        > that the subject of the film is:
        >
        > >300 BC
        > >Asia Minor
        > >Galatian Celts in Turkey
        > >La Tene culture

        <<<snipped>>>

        > I've been given a bit of information on what the producers have
        found in
        > terms of clothing for there/then. However, if anyone happens to
        have more
        > information that would help with costuming that is quickly
        accessible, I
        > would appreciate it!
        >
        > --Kareina

      • Heather Rose Jones
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2004
          At 9:21 AM -0800 12/5/04, Kareina Talvi Tyt”r wrote:

          >I've been asked to help out with the costuming for a documentary. Alas,
          >the filming is next weekend! Nothing like plenty of warning. ;-) I'm told
          >that the subject of the film is:
          >
          >>300 BC
          >>Asia Minor
          >>Galatian Celts in Turkey
          >>La Tene culture
          >>
          >>They have lived a long time amoung the Greeks and so are fairly Helenized
          >>but likely have kept much of their own Celtic heritage as well. They had
          >>their own craftspeople and families travelling with them into Turkey when
          >>they migrated there.
          >
          >I've been given a bit of information on what the producers have found in
          >terms of clothing for there/then. However, if anyone happens to have more
          >information that would help with costuming that is quickly accessible, I
          >would appreciate it!

          I did a couple of brief summary essays on Celtic
          clothing (split roughly into Hallstadt and La
          Tene) in response to a question on H-Costume.
          They don't really cover the Galatians
          specifically, but might be useful. I've put them
          in the files section in a folder titled
          "Tangwysty's files" since they're rather long
          (and doubtless others will be interested). These
          are rather quick-and-dirty and are more intended
          as a starting point for research than as a
          complete source in themselves.

          Quite frankly, if they're filming next weekend,
          then unless they have a large budget and staff
          who do nothing else in the next week (and start
          with a certain familiarity with the historic
          context) then I'm not sure how much help _any_
          information is going to be.

          Tangwystyl
          --
          ****
          Heather Rose Jones
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2004
            Sorry for not including more of that sort of information--I'd gotten the
            e-mail asking for help in the morning as I was tidying up before an
            all-peers meeting for the Principality (Tir Righ in An Tir) and didn't have
            time to look at the files he'd attached and knew that if I didn't ask just
            then then I wouldn't get another chance to ask at all. (that hurry is also
            why I didn't remember to go back and add a subject line--my apologies to
            whichever moderator had to add one for me). I've forwarded Tangwystyl's
            (thank you!!!!) answer to the person who asked me for help, hopefully that
            will be useful information for them. I'm on digest mode, so I won't know
            till later if anyone else replied (yes, I *could* log onto Yahoo to check,
            but frankly, haven't the time/energy while trying to finalize visas and
            shipping and stuff for my move back to Lochac)

            --Kareina de la life isn't normally this hectic for me!

            At 12:59 AM 12/6/04, Yseult wrote:

            >Kareina,
            >Could you be a bit more specific about the information the producers
            >already have, and have shared with you, concerning clothing of the
            >three cultures/subjects you've listed below, so the list doesn't
            >duplicate time, bandwidth, effort, and or frustration, telling you
            >things you already know? :-)

          • Melissa Brown Muckart
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 7, 2004
              You're coming back to Lochac?! Yeah! When can we expect to see you here?

              *bounce*

              Catalina