Re: [SCA-Garb] The Austere & Pious Frenchwoman... [cross-posted]

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2004
      So, there *is* documentation for silk "body linen," at least in 12C
      France? Fascinating!
      --Yseult

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania
      Tukerton" <tbro3@s...> wrote:

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Soeur Ysobel de Montfaucon"
      > <ysobel@r...> wrote:

      > > information about the French 12C notions of pious modesty for
      women.

      > There are actaully quite a few quotes 12C from churchmen about the
      > evils of fashionable dress <<<snipped>>>.
      >
      > Good candidates (from memory) for immodest are:
      <<<snipped>>>>
      > silk chemises instead of linen

      <<<snipped>>>>
    • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "borderlands15213"
        <borderlands15213@y...> wrote:

        > So, there *is* documentation for silk "body linen," at least in 12C
        > France? Fascinating!

        It's from memory, and that might be one of the ones from romances
        instead of sermons. Or I might be a little muddled on the specifics,
        and be completely worng. At any rate, there are plenty of sermons
        which i reccomend seeking out. I maintain that extravagences like
        very expensive fabrics (eg silk), lacing, flowing sleeves etc would
        have been unpious, but refuse to firmly commit to any further
        specifics without a year to look up all the refernces (and finish off
        my unrelated thesis first).

        Teffania

        (if you want to ask me where I might have read such a thing, I can
        reccomend a few good books/articles. later when i'm not tired after a
        feast.).