Re: [Authentic_SCA] Looking for supporting images

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
      WhiteRaven wrote:
      >So, I'm hoping someone here could help me locate one or more, more
      >images showing any other examples of a houppe with either an
      >abbreviated front, or a split front similar to the dress on the left
      >in this image
      >http://www.jessamynscloset.com/images/postspainimages/Nobleza2/no280a.jpg

      The rosey houppelande on the left appears to me to have the front
      pulled up and tucked into the belt and the center front is pulled up
      the most.

      It does not look as if the front is abbreviated and nor does it
      appear that the center front is either split or completely open.

      And the orangey one next to it looks as if it is being worn the same way.

      Anahita
    • valkyr8@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, lilinah@e... wrote:
        > WhiteRaven wrote:

        > The rosey houppelande on the left appears to me to have the front
        > pulled up and tucked into the belt and the center front is pulled
        up
        > the most.
        >
        > It does not look as if the front is abbreviated and nor does it
        > appear that the center front is either split or completely open.
        >
        > And the orangey one next to it looks as if it is being worn the
        same way.

        > Anahita

        This was my impression as well when examining the image. You might
        do well finding more examples if you went to the scribal community.
        Someone there may have seen other examples of a houppeland depicted
        this way.

        Giovanna (Northshield)
      • Guenievre de Monmarche
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
          > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, lilinah@e... wrote:
          > > WhiteRaven wrote:
          >
          > > The rosey houppelande on the left appears to me to have the front
          > > pulled up and tucked into the belt and the center front is pulled
          > up
          > > the most.
          > >
          > > It does not look as if the front is abbreviated and nor does it
          > > appear that the center front is either split or completely open.
          > >
          > > And the orangey one next to it looks as if it is being worn the
          > same way.
          > >
          > > Anahita
          >
          > This was my impression as well when examining the image. You might
          > do well finding more examples if you went to the scribal community.
          > Someone there may have seen other examples of a houppeland depicted
          > this way.
          >
          > Giovanna (Northshield)

          I've seen a few houppes that appear to have an opening all the way down
          center front, but not worn opened. A good example of this would be this one
          - http://pics.livejournal.com/generys/pic/0000558z. It's from folio 127 of
          manuscript 598 at the Bibliotheque National de France. I *think* it's
          something by Boccacio, but when I scanned it I just noted folio and
          manuscript #'s.

          Guenievre