Looking for supporting images

  • elara_drake
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2004
      Good evening. I tried asking this question on another list, and as
      happens w/ threads, sometimes, I got an answer to the first half of
      my question, and the 2nd half seemed to keep jumping away and
      veering off onto another tangent. *grin*
      So, I'm hoping someone here could help me locate one or more, more
      images showing any other examples of a houppe with either an
      abbreviated front, or a split front similar to the dress
      on the left in this image
      http://www.jessamynscloset.com/images/postspainimages/Nobleza2/no280a
      .jpg
      I find it intriguing, and would love to play with it, if I
      could find at least one more image of that kind of look.

      WhiteRaven
    • lilinah@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
        WhiteRaven wrote:
        >So, I'm hoping someone here could help me locate one or more, more
        >images showing any other examples of a houppe with either an
        >abbreviated front, or a split front similar to the dress on the left
        >in this image
        >http://www.jessamynscloset.com/images/postspainimages/Nobleza2/no280a.jpg

        The rosey houppelande on the left appears to me to have the front
        pulled up and tucked into the belt and the center front is pulled up
        the most.

        It does not look as if the front is abbreviated and nor does it
        appear that the center front is either split or completely open.

        And the orangey one next to it looks as if it is being worn the same way.

        Anahita
      • valkyr8@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, lilinah@e... wrote:
          > WhiteRaven wrote:

          > The rosey houppelande on the left appears to me to have the front
          > pulled up and tucked into the belt and the center front is pulled
          up
          > the most.
          >
          > It does not look as if the front is abbreviated and nor does it
          > appear that the center front is either split or completely open.
          >
          > And the orangey one next to it looks as if it is being worn the
          same way.

          > Anahita

          This was my impression as well when examining the image. You might
          do well finding more examples if you went to the scribal community.
          Someone there may have seen other examples of a houppeland depicted
          this way.

          Giovanna (Northshield)
        • Guenievre de Monmarche
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
            > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, lilinah@e... wrote:
            > > WhiteRaven wrote:
            >
            > > The rosey houppelande on the left appears to me to have the front
            > > pulled up and tucked into the belt and the center front is pulled
            > up
            > > the most.
            > >
            > > It does not look as if the front is abbreviated and nor does it
            > > appear that the center front is either split or completely open.
            > >
            > > And the orangey one next to it looks as if it is being worn the
            > same way.
            > >
            > > Anahita
            >
            > This was my impression as well when examining the image. You might
            > do well finding more examples if you went to the scribal community.
            > Someone there may have seen other examples of a houppeland depicted
            > this way.
            >
            > Giovanna (Northshield)

            I've seen a few houppes that appear to have an opening all the way down
            center front, but not worn opened. A good example of this would be this one
            - http://pics.livejournal.com/generys/pic/0000558z. It's from folio 127 of
            manuscript 598 at the Bibliotheque National de France. I *think* it's
            something by Boccacio, but when I scanned it I just noted folio and
            manuscript #'s.

            Guenievre