John Longland's sermons, was Re: Henry VIII and Greensleeves

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia J Ley <cley@j...>
      wrote:
      > On the same page: "In 1521, Dr. John Longland, the Lord High
      > Almoner, used "Pastime with Good Company" as the text for a
      sermon."
      > Ooo,
      > I'ld like to read that!

      Sounded interesting to me too, so googled Longland. Finding the text
      could be a challenge. While his sermons were preached in English,
      most of them were evidently printed in Latin. (1521 would've been
      before the break with Rome.) There is a tantalizing quote from one
      of two sermons that did get written down in English here though:
      http://www.bartleby.com/214/1204.html

      Jehanne de Wodeford