Music

  • Zukauskas
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 11, 2004
      I just found this group, and I am thrilled to find others who agree that we should strive for as much authenticity as possible - it's a continuing process. I was especially thrilled when going through the archives to find other musicians who agree that modern music does not have a place at events. What good does it do to wear correct shoes and outfir then sing "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" or play modern bagpipes?

      So I look forward to being educated by all of you...

      Marie Genevieve

    • Cynthia J Ley
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 11, 2004
        Marie Genevieve asks:

        > What good does it do to wear
        > correct shoes and outfir then sing "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
        > or play modern bagpipes?

        Greetings! It's really the second half of the question that I take issue
        with. Even at kingdom competition level (in An Tir), there is such a
        thing as the acceptable substitution rule. If you can't afford something,
        have no access to it, or something about it is hazardous, you can use
        substitutes which aren't. Maybe what your pipers have access to are
        modern pipes. In any case, I know several Renaissance guitarists whose
        instrument has a lute persona--and that's ok. :)

        Arlys

      • Zukauskas
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 12, 2004
          You raise a good point. I understand acceptable substitution - for instance, I don't care for plastic recorders, but without them, we would have very little recorder playing in the SCA. (I'm not even getting into baroque vs renaisance recorders). So let me elaborate on my comment - modern bagpipes who play "Scotland the Brave" or "Do You Know the Muffin Man?" drive me up the wall. Play something period or that sounds like a period tune. I think it's more a matter of where you draw the line for acceptable substitution. If you stick to authenticity, will the thing you are considering not be done in SCA? In this case, without guitars, plastic instruments, etc, we would have very little instrumental music, So we have to set the authenticity bar a little lower for music, if we want to have it around (and we do want it!)

          Are there other areas where we have to settle for a little less authenticity to have it thet he SCA?

          Marie Genevieve

          > correct shoes and outfir then sing "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"
          > or play modern bagpipes?

          Greetings! It's really the second half of the question that I take issue
          with. Even at kingdom competition level (in An Tir), there is such a
          thing as the acceptable substitution rule. If you can't afford something,
          have no access to it, or something about it is hazardous, you can use
          substitutes which aren't. Maybe what your pipers have access to are
          modern pipes. In any case, I know several Renaissance guitarists whose
          instrument has a lute persona--and that's ok. :)

          Arlys

        • Elizabeth Walpole
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 12, 2004
            > I just found this group, and I am thrilled to find others who agree that
            we should strive for as much authenticity as possible - it's a continuing
            process. I was especially thrilled when going through the archives to find
            other musicians who agree that modern music does not have a place at events.
            What good does it do to wear correct shoes and outfir then sing "Wreck of
            the Edmund Fitzgerald" or play modern bagpipes?

            > So I look forward to being educated by all of you...
            >
            > Marie Genevieve

            Hello and welcome to the list. So can you educate me on what's wrong with
            modern bagpipes? are they constructed differently to period bagpipes? I was
            under the impression that the process of turning a goat/sheep skin inside
            out and putting pipes in at the neck and legs hadn't changed much.
            Elizabeth (rather musically ignorant)
            Elizabeth Beaumont Elizabeth Walpole
            in OR in
            Politarchopolis, Lochac Canberra, Australia
            ewalpole@...
          • Greg Lindahl
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 13, 2004
              On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 09:27:46AM +1100, Elizabeth Walpole wrote:

              > Hello and welcome to the list. So can you educate me on what's wrong with
              > modern bagpipes? are they constructed differently to period bagpipes?

              The number of drones, the size and power of the instrument, and the
              particulars of fingering and the scale that you get are all different
              from period bagpipes -- period bagpipes were quite diverse.

              Interestingly enough, while most period instruments are more expensive
              than modern folk instruments, period bagpipes are actually cheaper.

              -- Gregory
            • Maura Folsom
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14, 2004
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Greg Lindahl <lindahl@p...> wrote:

                > Interestingly enough, while most period instruments are more expensive
                > than modern folk instruments, period bagpipes are actually cheaper.
                And, according to my dad, easier to make, provided one isn't adverse
                to turning small goats inside out...

                No, actually, I'm NOT kidding.

                M.
              • mgpig@aug.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 15, 2004
                  Lark in the Morning's web site used to have (don't know if it is still
                  there) a narrative from one of the old owners, Mickey, about their
                  adventures as "folkies" in the sixties. They include the story of one
                  fellow who made bagpipes out of a goat that was not cured very well - when
                  he played them at a family Christmas dinner one year, the stench (and maybe
                  the appearance too!)ruined event...

                  These folk bagpipes look like someone holding a small animal under the arm
                  (including legs, sometimes)

                  Marie

                  > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Greg Lindahl <lindahl@p...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Interestingly enough, while most period instruments are more expensive
                  > > than modern folk instruments, period bagpipes are actually cheaper.
                  > And, according to my dad, easier to make, provided one isn't adverse
                  > to turning small goats inside out...
                  >
                  > No, actually, I'm NOT kidding.
                  >
                  > M.
                • Madeleine Delacroix
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 10, 2008
                    Greetings,
                    My son is interested at playing at our upcoming Yule feast but
                    trying to find music is killer, does anyone know of a good source of
                    Medieval and Renaissance sheet music for a violin(I know, post period,
                    but that is what he plays.)

                    Thank you,
                    madeleine
                  • Greg Lindahl
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 10, 2008
                      On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:26:40PM -0000, Madeleine Delacroix wrote:

                      > My son is interested at playing at our upcoming Yule feast but
                      > trying to find music is killer, does anyone know of a good source of
                      > Medieval and Renaissance sheet music for a violin(I know, post period,
                      > but that is what he plays.)

                      Hello! The violin is pretty close to period: it achieved its current
                      shape in the late 1500s. The internals and bow and chin rest were
                      changed a bit after, but, it's reasonably close.

                      You can find lots of sheet music at:

                      http://sca.uwaterloo.ca/Music/

                      -- Gregory
                    • wodeford
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 13, 2008
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Madeleine Delacroix"
                        <madeleinedelacroix@...> wrote:

                        > Greetings,
                        > My son is interested at playing at our upcoming Yule feast but
                        > trying to find music is killer, does anyone know of a good source of
                        > Medieval and Renaissance sheet music for a violin(I know, post period,
                        > but that is what he plays.)

                        If you are looking specifically for Christmas themed music, may I
                        recommend the New Oxford Book of Christmas Carols. Runs about $30 new
                        in paperback, but SO worth it - a significant chunk of the songs in it
                        date to SCA period and there are copious notes with each piece as well.

                        Jehanne de Wodeford
                        West Kingdom