Re: Opinion on swatches please

  • Cornelia
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 9, 2004
      Hi,

      > I think I know what publications I'd search for to check this, but
      if
      > you have time....
      >
      > This would be the local walnut variety I assume, something like
      (very
      > close to) english walnut? Most of the dying talk of walnut's I've
      > heard of is using the (new world) black walnut. I hope I've gotten
      > the varieties right there.
      >
      > Which bit of the walnut is used? (presumably no mordant is needed
      for
      > a tannic dye such as this)
      >
      > And was this on the garment that is suspected of being 12thC.

      Textilfunde aus dem Hafen von Haithabu, Inga Haegg, 1984. Karl
      Wachholtz Verlag, ISBN 3-529-1920-8

      Two fragments (or rather a few fragments, two pieces of clothing)
      one a crepe woven wool (tabby) interpreted as remains of trousers of
      the Thorsberg type and a repped wool tabby piece interpreted as a
      piece of a haengerock. Both presumably 10th century (the part of the
      habour they were found in has been roughly dated to the 10th century.

      I believe there might have been walnut dye on some Herjolfsnes
      fragments as well, which might be what you were thinking of as
      12thC? They range from 12th century to the 14th century, but there
      are also fragments from York, London and other places and times....

      The best parts of walnut (European walnut, Juglans regia) to use are
      the thick green/brownish hull-leaves surrounding the hard shell of
      the walnut when the actual nut drops out of them in autumn. Put them
      in a bucket with water for some time, you can keep adding. When the
      water appears dark brown, strain the shells off. You can dye wool
      cold, just put the wet fabric in, stir frequently until the fabric
      has the colour you want, take out, rinse well and let dry.

      Hope this helps,

      Cornelia
    • Cornelia
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 12, 2004
        BTW, do you have an ISSN no for this journal? Googling
        > for "dress" seems unfortunately rather pointless.
        >
        > /Lena

        Try googling Dress and Journal.....It's the Journal of the Costume
        Society of America, ISSN 0361-2112.....

        Cheers,

        Cornelia