Re: illumination information

  • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
      There's a wonderful little book that sorted out most of the things I
      didn't know about medeival manuscripts, and a few things I never knew
      I wanted to know. I'm pretty sure it is (I didn't write it down, but
      the title sounds similar, and it's held by my library):

      Author: Brown, Michelle (Michelle P.)
      Title: Understanding illuminated manuscripts : a guide to technical
      terms / Michelle P. Brown.
      Publisher: London : J. Paul Getty Museum in association with the
      British Library, 1994.
      ISBN: 0712303405

      It's a slim volume, probably quite cheap, and hopefully widely
      available in Libraries, illustrated in colour, and gives easy to
      understand dictionary definitions not only of terms like folio, verso,
      recto and their abreviations, but also explains types of standard
      manuscript illustrations eg "tree of jesse" with small pictures* of
      period examples, and also practises like binding. I found knowing
      some of the iconography of the standard manuscript pictures helpful
      for my costume interpretations.
      It doesn't go into depth, but is definately easy to acess for te
      beginner, and I think gives a good bibliography for more info.

      I'd happily buy this book next time i see it, because I think it is
      probably very affordable, and continually useful if you dabble with
      manuscripts.

      Teffania
      *There's only a couple of 12th C illuminations used as examples, but
      they haven't fallen for the trap of only using late period or
      extremely well known examples to illustrate everything.

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Maura Folsom" <jauncourt@v...>
      wrote:

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Bogs" <cbogs@p...>
      > wrote:
      > > Actually, "Folio" refers not to the section of the manuscript, but
      is an
      > > indicator of which sheet of the manuscript the citation is
      referencing.

      > Ah! Thank you! I was under a misapprehension that a folio was roughly
      > correspondent to a signature in a modern book. This is much clearer.
      >
      > Marg.
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania
        Tukerton" <tbro3@s...> wrote:
        > Author: Brown, Michelle (Michelle P.)
        > Title: Understanding illuminated manuscripts : a guide to
        technical
        > terms / Michelle P. Brown.
        > Publisher: London : J. Paul Getty Museum in association with the
        > British Library, 1994.
        > ISBN: 0712303405

        I had the opportunity to visit the Getty Museum in LA about a week
        ago. You can visit their manuscript collection online at
        http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/collection_types/c2033122.html

        Jehanne de Wodeford, West