Orange, and purple

  • Marybeth Lavrakas
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2004
      The orange I've gotten with madder happened with a
      batch where I didn't pour off the results of the
      initial cold soak but used it in the dyebath, and also
      (as I recall) I let the bath be fairly acidic instead
      of alkaline. It's brighter in the lock than after
      spinning, but I bet if I treated it with tin (tinned
      lined pot) it would jazz up.

      I'll try to remember to post some photos to the web
      site of the different colors that've been mentioned.
      I'll have more examples available in a couple of
      weeks, though, as I'm doing 2 days of natural dyeing
      at the living history demo in Manteo, so I'll have
      more cool examples in wool after then!

      But orange like the fruit is a lot easier to get with
      other dyestuffs, like safflower, which was available &
      used in the west in later peiods, but I don't know
      'starting when.' (grammar...sorry, brain slowly moving
      this morning...caffein needed...now...) And the best
      oranges I've ever gotten were with red sandalwood.

      As to purples, don't forget that madder/indigo is also
      a very commonly found mixture on early textiles...but
      as I've never used Archil I can't make any
      comparisons.

      My Big Project, once I get into December, is to spend
      the winter trying to perfect 'peacock' on silk, as
      found in a couple of recipes in the Plictho. I'm also
      hoping I can get to Gulf Wars in March, so I can spend
      a day or two on Artisans Row with other dyers!!

      KR

      =====
      Lady Kateryn Rous, CP
      House Broussard