source needed: Elizabethan noble pastimes

  • Jen Kennedy (SCA: Ld. Eoin an Eich Ghil
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
      Dear all,
      can anyone point me to a good scholarly source (or few) describing
      pastimes of of the nobility in Tudor & Elizabethan England?
      Specifically ones that mention (or better, detail) dance?

      Many thanks,
      Eoin
    • costumesbycrys@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
        I have Daily Life in Elizabethan England by Jeffrey L. Signman checked
        out from the library right now. It has a section on entertainment that
        includes explanations of dance steps as well as songs.
        Appendix A of the book states that "The text on which this book is
        based was originally written as a living history maunal for the
        Elizabethan period. It has since been expanded and reworked to provide
        an introduction to Elizabethan daily life for the general- interest
        reader."
        There's also an Appendix C: Contacts which lists Groups (including
        SCA), Sites, Journals, and Electronic Resources.
        The Notes following the appendices gives a chapter by chapter listing
        of sources. Following that is a section on Further Reading containing
        lists of Novels, Recordings, Films, and Illustration sources.

        Hope this helps,
        Crystal
      • Heather Rose Jones
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004
          At 2:26 PM +0000 11/3/04, Jen Kennedy (SCA: Ld. Eoin an Eich Ghil mac
          Cionaodha) wrote:
          >Dear all,
          >can anyone point me to a good scholarly source (or few) describing
          >pastimes of of the nobility in Tudor & Elizabethan England?
          >Specifically ones that mention (or better, detail) dance?

          There's:

          Reeves, Compton. 1998. Pleasures and Pastimes in Medieval England.
          Oxford Univ Press, New York. ISBN 0-19-521423-4

          which includes at least the early part of the 16th century. But for
          dance specifically, I'd go with the dance manuals (which Justin will
          no doubt tell you about in detail).

          Tangwystyl
          --
          ****