Re: Kass, Am I seeing things?

  • cschutrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
      > Am I mis-remembering the images, or is this drawing
      > http://www.designsofthepast.com/loosegown.html
      > one of Kass's from her pattern line? Please forgive
      > me if I'm wrong, but it just has the same look/style
      > that I seem to remember and I prefer to ask first.

      I can't get to the page to compare, but it wouldn't surprise me at
      all; Designs of the Past has been using some very, ah, interesting
      interpretations of copyright law--basically, taking images from
      commercial pattern envelopes, peoples' online redrawings, and shots
      of people in garb, Photoshopping them, and putting them on the web
      as examples of original work. Unsurprising that they would have
      nabbed some of Kass's stuff.

      The fact that the site is down I take as hopeful; perhaps someone
      complained to their host and they've been nuked.

      There's been a lot of talk about this on SCA_garb.

      --Jeannette
    • Elizabeth Walpole
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
        <snip>
        > > Am I mis-remembering the images, or is this drawing
        > > http://www.designsofthepast.com/loosegown.html
        > > one of Kass's from her pattern line? Please forgive
        > > me if I'm wrong, but it just has the same look/style
        > > that I seem to remember and I prefer to ask first.
        >
        > I can't get to the page to compare, but it wouldn't surprise me at
        > all; Designs of the Past has been using some very, ah, interesting
        > interpretations of copyright law--basically, taking images from
        > commercial pattern envelopes, peoples' online redrawings, and shots
        > of people in garb, Photoshopping them, and putting them on the web
        > as examples of original work. Unsurprising that they would have
        > nabbed some of Kass's stuff.

        <snip>
        Nope I'm pretty sure this one is taken directly from Janet Arnold's Patterns
        of Fashion (which Kass has based her pattern on), the pose is exactly the
        same they have just removed some of the details and flipped the image so it
        faces the other way. The drawing on Kass' site looks rather different,
        though it is the same loose gown.
        Elizabeth
        ----
        Elizabeth Beaumont Elizabeth Walpole
        in OR in
        Politarchopolis, Lochac Canberra, Australia
        ewalpole@...
      • Megan & Dave
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
          Well, they haven't been shut down yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time though.

          Gwenhyfar
          > Am I mis-remembering the images, or is this drawing
          > http://www.designsofthepast.com/loosegown.html
          > one of Kass's from her pattern line? Please forgive
          > me if I'm wrong, but it just has the same look/style
          > that I seem to remember and I prefer to ask first.

          I can't get to the page to compare, but it wouldn't surprise me at
          all; Designs of the Past has been using some very, ah, interesting
          interpretations of copyright law--basically, taking images from
          commercial pattern envelopes, peoples' online redrawings, and shots
          of people in garb, Photoshopping them, and putting them on the web
          as examples of original work. Unsurprising that they would have
          nabbed some of Kass's stuff.

          The fact that the site is down I take as hopeful; perhaps someone
          complained to their host and they've been nuked.

          There's been a lot of talk about this on SCA_garb.

          --Jeannette

          This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Get unlimited calls to