Kass, Am I seeing things?

  • elara_drake
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
      Am I mis-remembering the images, or is this drawing
      http://www.designsofthepast.com/loosegown.html
      one of Kass's from her pattern line? Please forgive me if I'm wrong,
      but it just has the same look/style that I seem to remember and I
      prefer to ask first.

      WhiteRaven
    • cschutrick
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
        > Am I mis-remembering the images, or is this drawing
        > http://www.designsofthepast.com/loosegown.html
        > one of Kass's from her pattern line? Please forgive
        > me if I'm wrong, but it just has the same look/style
        > that I seem to remember and I prefer to ask first.

        I can't get to the page to compare, but it wouldn't surprise me at
        all; Designs of the Past has been using some very, ah, interesting
        interpretations of copyright law--basically, taking images from
        commercial pattern envelopes, peoples' online redrawings, and shots
        of people in garb, Photoshopping them, and putting them on the web
        as examples of original work. Unsurprising that they would have
        nabbed some of Kass's stuff.

        The fact that the site is down I take as hopeful; perhaps someone
        complained to their host and they've been nuked.

        There's been a lot of talk about this on SCA_garb.

        --Jeannette
      • Elizabeth Walpole
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
          <snip>
          > > Am I mis-remembering the images, or is this drawing
          > > http://www.designsofthepast.com/loosegown.html
          > > one of Kass's from her pattern line? Please forgive
          > > me if I'm wrong, but it just has the same look/style
          > > that I seem to remember and I prefer to ask first.
          >
          > I can't get to the page to compare, but it wouldn't surprise me at
          > all; Designs of the Past has been using some very, ah, interesting
          > interpretations of copyright law--basically, taking images from
          > commercial pattern envelopes, peoples' online redrawings, and shots
          > of people in garb, Photoshopping them, and putting them on the web
          > as examples of original work. Unsurprising that they would have
          > nabbed some of Kass's stuff.

          <snip>
          Nope I'm pretty sure this one is taken directly from Janet Arnold's Patterns
          of Fashion (which Kass has based her pattern on), the pose is exactly the
          same they have just removed some of the details and flipped the image so it
          faces the other way. The drawing on Kass' site looks rather different,
          though it is the same loose gown.
          Elizabeth
          ----
          Elizabeth Beaumont Elizabeth Walpole
          in OR in
          Politarchopolis, Lochac Canberra, Australia
          ewalpole@...
        • Megan & Dave
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
            Well, they haven't been shut down yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time though.

            Gwenhyfar
            > Am I mis-remembering the images, or is this drawing
            > http://www.designsofthepast.com/loosegown.html
            > one of Kass's from her pattern line? Please forgive
            > me if I'm wrong, but it just has the same look/style
            > that I seem to remember and I prefer to ask first.

            I can't get to the page to compare, but it wouldn't surprise me at
            all; Designs of the Past has been using some very, ah, interesting
            interpretations of copyright law--basically, taking images from
            commercial pattern envelopes, peoples' online redrawings, and shots
            of people in garb, Photoshopping them, and putting them on the web
            as examples of original work. Unsurprising that they would have
            nabbed some of Kass's stuff.

            The fact that the site is down I take as hopeful; perhaps someone
            complained to their host and they've been nuked.

            There's been a lot of talk about this on SCA_garb.

            --Jeannette

            This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Get unlimited calls to