Re: [Authentic_SCA] colours Re: Houndstooth?

  • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
      If you go to her main pages, one on Viking info and one on textiles I think,
      you will find all kinds of juicy stuff. Thora's pages are a treasure!

      --Saerlaith
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
        Thora has gotten some remarkably good colors, including some very nice purples...but again, I'd be careful of using orchil on something that was going to be in the sun a lot, or using it on anything but wool. I'd be more inclined to use cochineal overdyed with indigo, especially on cellulose fibers (you get a very nice lavender on linen).

        Another person who's gotten good results with madder is Master Henry MacQueen, www.thescholarsgarrett.com. He's best known for mechanical work but has done some lovely dyeing.

        Sarah Davies