RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: illumination information

  • Christopher Bogs
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2004
      >>This *is* a complete citation, except for page number. For example, your
      fictional cite reads: From the Bodleian Library Manuscript collection, type:
      Miscellany, Manuscript Accession number 476, Folio (section of manuscript)
      #5 (page number would go here - though it isn't usually necessary as most
      folios are only a few pages in length). Most of the great libraries have at
      least textual information about their manuscript collections online. many
      actually have image archives of the illuminations, if not the ENTIRE
      manuscript.<<

      Actually, "Folio" refers not to the section of the manuscript, but is an
      indicator of which sheet of the manuscript the citation is referencing. All
      the example left out was which side of folio #5 the illumination appeared on
      -- this will usually appear as something like "folio five recto"
      (abbreviated f. 5r, and meaning "the front side of the sheet") or "folio
      five verso" (abbreviated f. 5v and meaning "the back side of the sheet").
      In Western manuscripts (the kind you read from left to right, like a book in
      English), the verso is the left side of the book, and the recto the right,
      if that makes any sense.

      A complete reference (like "Bodleian MS. Misc. 476, f. 5 recto") refers to
      one sheet of paper/parchment/papyrus/etc. only., which helps to eliminate
      guesswork!

      Yrs.,
      Christoph
      Christopher Bogs | Christopher Jameson
      Philadelphia, PA | Barony of Bhakail, EK
      Don't tell my parents I'm in the SCA --
      They think I'm running guns for a biker gang.
    • Maura Folsom
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Bogs" <cbogs@p...>
        wrote:
        > Actually, "Folio" refers not to the section of the manuscript, but is an
        > indicator of which sheet of the manuscript the citation is referencing.

        Ah! Thank you! I was under a misapprehension that a folio was roughly
        correspondent to a signature in a modern book. This is much clearer.

        Marg.
      • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
          There's a wonderful little book that sorted out most of the things I
          didn't know about medeival manuscripts, and a few things I never knew
          I wanted to know. I'm pretty sure it is (I didn't write it down, but
          the title sounds similar, and it's held by my library):

          Author: Brown, Michelle (Michelle P.)
          Title: Understanding illuminated manuscripts : a guide to technical
          terms / Michelle P. Brown.
          Publisher: London : J. Paul Getty Museum in association with the
          British Library, 1994.
          ISBN: 0712303405

          It's a slim volume, probably quite cheap, and hopefully widely
          available in Libraries, illustrated in colour, and gives easy to
          understand dictionary definitions not only of terms like folio, verso,
          recto and their abreviations, but also explains types of standard
          manuscript illustrations eg "tree of jesse" with small pictures* of
          period examples, and also practises like binding. I found knowing
          some of the iconography of the standard manuscript pictures helpful
          for my costume interpretations.
          It doesn't go into depth, but is definately easy to acess for te
          beginner, and I think gives a good bibliography for more info.

          I'd happily buy this book next time i see it, because I think it is
          probably very affordable, and continually useful if you dabble with
          manuscripts.

          Teffania
          *There's only a couple of 12th C illuminations used as examples, but
          they haven't fallen for the trap of only using late period or
          extremely well known examples to illustrate everything.

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Maura Folsom" <jauncourt@v...>
          wrote:

          > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Bogs" <cbogs@p...>
          > wrote:
          > > Actually, "Folio" refers not to the section of the manuscript, but
          is an
          > > indicator of which sheet of the manuscript the citation is
          referencing.

          > Ah! Thank you! I was under a misapprehension that a folio was roughly
          > correspondent to a signature in a modern book. This is much clearer.
          >
          > Marg.
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2004
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania
            Tukerton" <tbro3@s...> wrote:
            > Author: Brown, Michelle (Michelle P.)
            > Title: Understanding illuminated manuscripts : a guide to
            technical
            > terms / Michelle P. Brown.
            > Publisher: London : J. Paul Getty Museum in association with the
            > British Library, 1994.
            > ISBN: 0712303405

            I had the opportunity to visit the Getty Museum in LA about a week
            ago. You can visit their manuscript collection online at
            http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/collection_types/c2033122.html

            Jehanne de Wodeford, West