colours Re: Houndstooth?

  • neimhaille
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
      > http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/image/lichens.jpg

      Wow, that you so much for forwarding that email here. The last image
      in particular makes me very happy. All those purples shading from
      near electric violet to plum:)

      Now to save the links and reference them for documentation:)

      michaela de bruce
      http://glittersweet.com
    • Cornelia
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
        > I have read of archeological evidence from early-Viking era digs.

        Would you have any references to those archaeological references?
        Always interested in evidence...

        Thanks,

        Cornelia
      • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
          If you go to her main pages, one on Viking info and one on textiles I think,
          you will find all kinds of juicy stuff. Thora's pages are a treasure!

          --Saerlaith

        • kittencat3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
            Thora has gotten some remarkably good colors, including some very nice purples...but again, I'd be careful of using orchil on something that was going to be in the sun a lot, or using it on anything but wool. I'd be more inclined to use cochineal overdyed with indigo, especially on cellulose fibers (you get a very nice lavender on linen).

            Another person who's gotten good results with madder is Master Henry MacQueen, www.thescholarsgarrett.com. He's best known for mechanical work but has done some lovely dyeing.

            Sarah Davies