name help

  • Kareina Talvi Tytär
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2004
      Greetings,

      I write this letter on behalf of my beloved lord, Crian, who after three
      years in the SCA is still using his modern name at events. He has chosen a
      persona in that he knows where/when he's from (Charlemagne's empire is
      going strong, so far as he is concerned). In fact, at a recent collegium
      he took a class on "persona development" where they handed out a quiz
      they'd found on-line which was full of questions about how your persona
      lives, where they live, what they eat, what their country's foreign policy
      is, etc. He managed to get a score on that pointing to a well-rounded
      persona story. However, he couldn't answer that most basic question "What
      is your name?"!

      This is not for lack of research--he's read a number of books on the era
      and made lists of all of the names he's seen, but not one name has spoken
      to him--not one has he been able to say "yes, I can see myself answering to
      that". Therefore we have decided to ask others for help. If anyone has
      encountered names suitable for a man who is part of Charlemagne's army
      (he's got an AA in the SCA, so he figures that his persona rank should be
      roughly equivalent to that) please let him know off list (he doesn't
      subscribe to this one) at crian (at) shaw (dot) ca. One never knows, the
      name you find just might be the one he's looking for!

      Thanks!

      --Kareina
      PS, I *suspect* that he's looking for a name that was used then, but isn't
      all that common today

    • Katherine Throckmorton
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2004
        From: Kareina Talvi Tytär
        To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [Authentic_SCA] name help
        Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:07:29 -0800

        >I write this letter on behalf of my beloved lord, Crian, who after three
        >years in the SCA is still using his modern name at events.  He has chosen a
        >persona in that he knows where/when he's from (Charlemagne's empire is
        >going strong, so far as he is concerned).

        I would suggest checking out the articles on Frankish Names at:
        http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/french.shtml
        This website is the best source for articles on names and naming practices that I'm aware of.

        If he needs more assistance I will be glad to do my humble best via email, or he might want to talk to his local herald. I'm not an expert on Frankish stuff, but I *do* know how to conflict check, can generally put a authentic name together as long as he doesn't want anything too unusual, and can of course, offer my opinions on which names sound pleasing to the ear :)
        If he is still stuck on picking out a name after reading the articles, I'd suggest emailing the Academy of St. Gabriel at:
        www.s-gabriel.org
        It can take awhile to get a report back from them, but at the end of the day one can be certain that the resulting name will be authentic.
        YIS,
        Katherine

        Arguing with a herald is like wrestling with a pig. First you get really dirty and muddy, and then, after a while, you begin to realize the pig is enjoying himself.                                                                                                                     -Sliverwing's 54th Law of SCA Dynamics