Houndstooth?

  • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2004
      Does anyone know offhand when hounds/dogstooth check showed up?

      --Saerlaith

    • Stuart Stegall
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2004
        I have read of archeological evidence from early-Viking era digs. I
        have ready multiple references to it's use in Celtic check, but I have
        not read of any actual evidence. It probably existed in any culture
        that used a WWL or similar loom. That would place as far as possibly
        7000BC.

        Hounds-tooth architecture was in common usage in 14th century Gothic
        architecture

      • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
          I hate finding lovely colors of wool on ebay, but not knowing if it's my
          place (Ireland) or period (10th C) or not. Keeps the budget in check to a
          point though 8- )

          --Saerlaith

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
            Well, most likely it is completely authentic to 10C Ireland ... Color is
            of course a different story. I understand a particular shade of violet
            was rather popular in Viking Ireland ;)

          • sismith42
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
              > I hate finding lovely colors of wool on ebay, but not knowing if it's my
              > place (Ireland) or period (10th C) or not. Keeps the budget in check to a
              > point though 8- )

              Check out this colour wheel:
              http://www.42nd-dimension.com/NFPS/nfps_colours.html

              Estevana
            • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2004
                Here is a portion of a post from the Norsefolk list with some sweet links to
                recreated colors. The last link shows some purples from lichens that are
                pretty. I wish there were similar sites with what weaves originated when &
                where. Some kind of big chart with colors, weaves and stitches used when &
                where would be a wonderful reference.

                --Saerlaith

                >>>Anyway, I thought I'd provide a few links to naturally dyed textiles for
                people to see. I have a bunch more stuff at home than I do on line, but
                here are a few examples. First is a photo of some cloth I wove in
                naturally dyed Icelandic wool. The red is madder, the yellow is weld, the
                blue is woad, and the green is weld/woad. The only mordant was alum, with
                a pinch of plain slaked lime in the madder pot as well. I purposely made
                sure the colors of the digital photo were as close as possible to the
                original, of the 35 or so photos we took of this cloth.

                http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/image/plaid.jpg

                Here's Mistress Mirabel's Laurel hlad, in tablet-woven reeled silk I dyed
                with madder and weld.

                http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/image/mirabels-hlad.jpg

                Here's a set of Laurel garters I tablet-wove of wool I dyed with weld and
                weld/woad.

                http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/image/laurel-garters.jpg

                Here's some silk trim tablet-woven by Master Herveus d'Ormonde; I dyed the
                silk with madder, weld, and woad. (Pictures aren't very detaled, but you
                can get an idea.)

                http://www.radix.net/~herveus/rabbit.html

                And here is a photo of skeins of yarn dyed with various types of lichens,
                mostly in the "purple" family. This was part of a poster presentation by a
                pair of Norwegian researchers at the Colour Congress 2002 at Iowa State, a
                big international conference at which I gave my paper on medieval weld
                usage. Although this is by far the best lighted of the six photos I took,
                this photo unfortunately doesn't convey the wide range of colors they
                achieved, which was gobsmacking. ;>

                http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/image/lichens.jpg

                One of these days I need to put up some photos of my sample cards....

                Carolyn Priest-Dorman Þóra Sharptooth
                http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/thora.html

              • neimhaille
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                  > http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/image/lichens.jpg

                  Wow, that you so much for forwarding that email here. The last image
                  in particular makes me very happy. All those purples shading from
                  near electric violet to plum:)

                  Now to save the links and reference them for documentation:)

                  michaela de bruce
                  http://glittersweet.com
                • Cornelia
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                    > I have read of archeological evidence from early-Viking era digs.

                    Would you have any references to those archaeological references?
                    Always interested in evidence...

                    Thanks,

                    Cornelia
                  • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                      If you go to her main pages, one on Viking info and one on textiles I think,
                      you will find all kinds of juicy stuff. Thora's pages are a treasure!

                      --Saerlaith

                    • kittencat3@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                        Thora has gotten some remarkably good colors, including some very nice purples...but again, I'd be careful of using orchil on something that was going to be in the sun a lot, or using it on anything but wool. I'd be more inclined to use cochineal overdyed with indigo, especially on cellulose fibers (you get a very nice lavender on linen).

                        Another person who's gotten good results with madder is Master Henry MacQueen, www.thescholarsgarrett.com. He's best known for mechanical work but has done some lovely dyeing.

                        Sarah Davies